How can i get more break on my cutter?

I’ve just started expiermenting on the cutter. Bassically, what I did was take my 4 seam, put my fingers together, and then put pressure on my middle finger. throw it just like normal. But I’m having trouble get a good break on it. I’d also like to get a more sharp break on it. thx in advance

[quote=“dodgerfan3”]I’ve just started expiermenting on the cutter. Bassically, what I did was take my 4 seam, put my fingers together, and then put pressure on my middle finger. throw it just like normal. But I’m having trouble get a good break on it. I’d also like to get a more sharp break on it. thx in advance[/quote]Are you holding it slightly off center? That will give it more movement.

No, I haven’t at all. Thanks. I’ll try that.

First, keep in mind that the cutter is considered a velocity pitch and generally breaks only 6"-8".

I suggest holding he ball with thumb and middle finger cutting the ball in half. The add a slight supination to the hand/forearm. Make sure the supination is in place before the arm starts forward and maintain that angle through release.

Consider this: 90 degrees of supination is a curve. Half the supination of a curve (45 degrees) is a slider. Half the supination of a slider (22.5 degrees) is a cutter.

What is Supination? Is that like turning your wrist. and if it is am i sussposed to just leave it at that angle or snap my wrist. I dont want to hurt my arm in any way

Supination is rotation of the hand/forearm to a palm-in/thumb-up position - like you’re going to shake someone’s hand. Except that would be 90 degrees of supination which would be a curve. Supinate just the 22.5 degrees to make it a cutter. And, no, you don’t need a protractor to get the angle exact.

Maintain the angle but otherwise throw it like a fastball. No snap or anything special is needed.

Well what I do with my Cutter to get some more movement on it, I preset my wrist a little bit to the left, as if you move your computer mouse to the left

[quote=“theRocket”]Well what I do with my Cutter to get some more movement on it, I preset my wrist a little bit to the left, as if you move your computer mouse to the left[/quote] thanks for the advice . and thanks for explaining with the mouse thing. that helped a lot.

tried it out already? :slight_smile:

yep, i had light homework today.