How Big is too Big?

I am a senior in HS who has signed to play baseball at a division 1 college. I am a RHP who is 6’6" and 230 lbs. I have been putting on weight pretty consistently lately, but eating healthy foods. (Had a bone in chicken breast, baked potato, bowl of carrots for dinner with a glass of chocolate milk for dessert). I have also been working out pretty consistently. (4/ wk) I also have several cousins who were between 6’6" and 6’8" and 250-275 that played tight end in college, so I know about what I would look at at a heavier weight. So my question is: How big is too big for a pitcher? Is 250-260 too big for a pitcher?

At 6’6" and 230 pounds you’re just about right. You say your whole family is that big, so you shouldn’t worry. Look at C.C. Sabathia—you’re right about where he is. Just don’t turn yourself into a tubba blubba!

Yeah I wouldn’t say I was worried about it, just really don’t see many other guys my size so I thought I would see what people had to say.

That’s a great question you asked, one I get often.

It sounds like your at a great weight right now but don’t worry about how much you weigh. Make sure you keep your body fat percentage low. That’s the key. If you can keep it 13-15 % you will compete better; you will be more explosive to the plate.

Many pitchers your age worry about gaining weight; well if you gain the wrong weight (fat) it will do you no good.

If your like me in High School I could eat like garbage and a ton of it and never gain weight. Problem you will find is those eating habits are hard to break and when you get older your body is not as forgiving.

As long as you eat right with minimal sugar intake and continue with a great pitching workout routine you will be fine.

FYI: I did a pitching camp with Jeremy Guthrie last year in Utah. He’s the Orioles #1 pitcher right now. He is in excellent shape and has a very low body fat percentage. When I first saw him I thought “he’s the guy” he doesn’t “look” like a power pitcher. lol He’s hit a 100 mph a few times.
I share that because you don’t have to be a Randy Johnson, Nolan Ryan, Roger Clemens power pitcher to be effective. You don’t have to be a huge bulky guy. You are after speed, agility and explosive power to the plate.

Sorry I forgot to mention one thing if it matters anyway. Right now I’m 6’4’ 212 and feel awesome! My goal is to get to 200 pounds; you might think that that is too skinny, but again it’s not. It’s all about lean muscle and body fat percentage to be explosive at the plate.
I have weighed up to 240. I thought I would throw faster but I actually slowed down a couple miles an hour because I was a little chunky for my frame.
My friend Jim Brogan that used to play in the NBA years ago is 6’6 200 pounds. He is ripped and some would say he is a bit on the skinny side until you seem him play and jump over everyone. Very low (but healthy) body fat.

6’6" 230 is about right if you are a decent body fat %. Stay in that 220-240 lbs range and you should be a lot better off than if you get up over 250lbs. The guys I know who are that big tend to have higher body fat % and are slower to the plate.

I am 6’6" and weigh 240-245 right now. You should focus on percentages.
Personally, I would like to be under 10% body fat, which is about 25 lbs away.

I suppose everyone has a different goal or perception.

just so you guys know, their is no such thing as garbage foods.

To gain weight you simply need to eat more calories then you burn in a day, to lose weight you need to eat less calories than what you burn in the day.

Your body doesn’t know the difference between a hot dog, and rice. The food goes through your body and is converted into the simplest form, and is the used by the body as energy.

Don’t worry too much about crap food, just worry about hitting your overall calorie goal, whether you are bulking or cutting.

Good luck

[quote=“BarryBonds999”]just so you guys know, their is no such thing as garbage foods.

Your body doesn’t know the difference between a hot dog, and rice. The food goes through your body and is converted into the simplest form, and is the used by the body as energy.

Don’t worry too much about crap food, just worry about hitting your overall calorie goal, whether you are bulking or cutting.

Good luck[/quote]

uhhh….ok. Can you point me to ANY scientific or empirical research that supports this? What is your source? Are you saying whether I eat a piece of lean meat or a Snickers bar there is no difference in how my body responds to this? Any thoughts on hormonal/insulin responses to food as it relates to athletic performance? Thanks in advance for your response.

BarryBonds999 is more or less correct. Insulinogenesis timing and hormonal patterns are far less important (by a huge margin) than simply getting the right amount of protein and calories. Of course, if you are already doing that for months on end, it makes sense to tinker with your diet more. But considering most scrawny kids have to eat pizzas and burgers and milkshakes to even gain 5 pounds, it’s a good enough rule.

The hot dog = rice thing is not correct (obviously macronutrients matter like protein/carb/fat) but the breakdown after p/c/f is not relevant in all but the elite athletes and the diseased population.

On to the OP:

At 6’6" 230 lbs I’d be loving it as a trainer. I don’t know that I’d push you to 250 but if you think you can maintain a decent body fat % at that weight, that’s absolutely fine. Depending on your build, your ideal weight is probably anywhere from 230-260.

What can you run the 60 in?
How high can you jump?
Can you move side to side quickly?

Athletic is athletic. CC was a very big baby fat high schooler that played all sports well. Cleveland just grab him before college did. He was fun to watch in HS and was awesome to work with because he had a no limit approach.

Can you throw strikes?
Can you field a bunt?
Can you cover 1st?

You need to be athletic, if you have a tough time staying in shape…baseball is not for you. Athletics is not for you.
If athletics is what your heart desires and it is your calling…do what athletes do…work out, get strong, fast and get in shape.

[quote=“BarryBonds999”]just so you guys know, their is no such thing as garbage foods.

Good luck[/quote]

if this were 100% true, bodybuilders wouldn’t eat the way they do and Americans who eat their 2,500 calorie processed diets wouldn’t look like the pillsbury doughboy.

in my experience, the amount of fat put on in a bulking diet is directly related to how much crap I eat to reach my calorie goals. For example, I was struggling earlier this fall to add the 5 lbs I was looking for, so I compensated with chicken quesadillas, didn’t think twice about eating the chips or pretzels with my lunches, downed chocolate milk like it was my job and did hesitate to use whole milk for all my protein shakes. The result - I added about 3-5 lbs over a month, but this was almost entirely bad weight. I cut out ALL of the above and after about 10 days I was back to the original bodyweight and noticeably leaner without losing any of my strength gains. The next time around I’m going to eat much cleaner, because I can’t get away with eating all junk the same way I could when I weighed 170lbs

First off, thank who ever it is up there who blessed you with the arm span to release the ball closer to the plate than most average MLB pitchers lol. However i may have some insight into this issue since i have been going absolutely crazy in the weight room this off season thus far.

From what instructors and coaches have noticed about my body type, 99% of the time their answer is this: Too big is either too fat/ too much muscle mass that is takes away natural and or potential althleticism. The second way of being too big is being to bulky in the front part of the shoulder/ chest area. Unless counterbalanced by a tremendous amount of back work, too much front shoulder/ chest muscle will reduce your rotator cuffs range of motion; thus increasing the risk for injury and reducing your potential velocity.

Cheers