How are my mechanics?

Im 15 years old i am 5’10 200 lbs and going to be a junior at Norman High School in Oklahoma. My fastball is consistant with around 81-84 mph. Is there anything i can improve with my mechanics to pick up more velocity and improve my fastball?

I don’t see anything blatent. You have some talent though. Your a big kid for 15 and you look like you throw as hard as you say. If you mind I want to just give you a small piece of advice. If you keep consisteant you will be college bound for sure. I can see your a power pitcher. You even have that falling off the mound that a lot of power pitchers have. I have no way of telling how much more velocity you will have. But if you want to be successful in the college level you need to have control. Right now you need to start thinking about control. Kyle Farnsworth for the yankees can get that ball going around 98MPH but yet he has a rediculous number of homeruns against. Now I am no expert but by watching him day after day (I get the YES network so I can watch every Yankee game :D) I see that he misses his location a lot. Way too much for a pro. And most homeruns come from missed fastball locations. Its a fact that every college has a pitching machine that can reach speeds near 100MPH. Also pitching machines don’t pitch to the corner and they can’t pitch from corner to corner. If you can master a power fastball from corner to corner you can create some hell. If you are a dominate pitcher it will be overlooked by you becuase you may get away with missed location because your facing competition that isn’t up to your level. My tip to you is to worry about location. If you master that when you get to the college level you will have a lot of success. Don’t overlook location right now even if you can get away with it. Becuase a powerpitcher here doesn’t mean a power pitcher there.

Good luck you have some talent.

What pitches do you throw? Do you have a pitching coach?

Thank you. I have pretty good location too but it could be better i average maybe 5 to 7 strike outs a game sometimes more :smiley:

i throw a
4 and 2 seam fastball
12-6 curveball
and a circle change.

I have a pitching coach but i havent seen him that much this summer mostly during school, but i usually work with my head coach with my pitching too. (He pitched in college)

Looks Perfect! I’d like to see you reach toward the catcher a bit longer–to get more horizontal–to the ground. I think with "reaching toward the catcher( with your throwing hand ) longer–you just might get more velocity. With any tweeks to your mechanics–comes timing issues, so slow, small, adjustments. For every inch–of adjustment–the ball can move up to a foot away from where you are throwing to. ALWAYS KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE TARGET! Good Luck, Hope to see you in a College game on TV some day. Great job!

Stick with the change-up. It will help you later on.

Just a question in your opinion do you see yourself as a power pitcher? Depending on the talent you play against you may or may not be. If your playing against the best kids your age in your state then you proabbly aren’t a strait power pitcher but if your playing against average kids or even average to good you could be a power pitcher.

I like your attiude. Good control but it could be better. If you make a long term goal think of what you would have to do to get the best kid in the country out. If your 15 and you face the best kid in the country what are you going to do? Are you going to throw him a fastball down the middle? Probably not. I have no clue about your competition but but keep it in mind if your playing good competition you will see that you need control. If you are playing bad competition then you will need to get it in your head you need it anyways.

Your mechanics look pretty good. I only oticed a few things…

(1) Your back foot lifts off the ground before ball release.
(2) You appear to have a postural issue whereby you lean to the glove side as you stride. This appears to cause you to fall off to the side.
(3) Your upper half appears to “cartwheel” a bit instead of just rotating.

I think the posture issue leads to the cartwheeling which leads to the back foot lifting early. If what I’m seeing is correct, this is pulling your release point back and letting some energy leak to the side instead of being directed toward the target.

So, my only suggestion is to work on eliminating the lean to the glove side. Start by trying to keep your head upright through release.

Yeah i would see myseld as a power pitcher to a point. I play 6A ans went 6-1 this summer. but there are a couple teams that i can over power with my fastball and some that i use my curveball a lot in which i think i could have better location for those teams.

That’s right always think what will I do when I face a kid who can hit my fastball and curveball? Your going to have to use location and keep him off balance.

Your hands are working against you.

As that front leg lifts, your hands should too. Build momentum early if you want more velocity.

I hate this analogy but it makes sense. Think of yourself as a puppet, your hands bring up your leg and follow the same motion as your legs.

[quote=“Roger”]

So, my only suggestion is to work on eliminating the lean to the glove side. Start by trying to keep your head upright through release.[/quote]

tell that to lincecum

as an emerging Nyman follower, I think this advice would limit your throwing capabilities. I.e. worrying about keeping your head upright and on a line will prevent maximum rotation from taking place. And as Nyman always says, “rotation is velocity.”

[quote=“LankyLefty”][quote=“Roger”]

So, my only suggestion is to work on eliminating the lean to the glove side. Start by trying to keep your head upright through release.[/quote]

tell that to lincecum[/quote]
So are you recommending young pitchers should do what Lincecum does? If not, what’s your point?

If all you care about is maximum velocity, then don’t worry about it. But how does keeping the head upright prevent maximum velocity.

It’s not keeping the head upright… it’s thinking about it too much. If you think about keeping your head upright too much, then you will probably end up being linear. It definitely feels that way to me.

Lincecum developed a method with his father over the course of years, in no way should he be considered a “model” to follow (He is a great model for conditioning and preparation)…except as Nyman has mentioned, he gets it all going to the plate really well (After I asked him why he sites TL when mentioning mechs…), he acknowledged that Tim was unique in his delivery. Lanky nothing wrong when you’ve found success with a program…as you have with the Set-pro stuff, but keep in mind that developing to acheive the most efficient mechanics is an individual thing, I haven’t seen anyone “teaching” Lincecum as if he was some new standard…he exhibits qualities that could or couldn’t prove helpful to a developing pitcher.

“So are you recommending young pitchers should do what Lincecum does? If not, what’s your point?”

I’m saying that trying to consciously keep the head upright throughout the delivery will probably lead to one becoming extremely linear and losing a ton of velocity as a result. When the torso rotates violently it pulls the shoulders around and the head must “clear the way” to allow the shoulders to continue on that axis of rotation. Lincecum is not the only example by a longshot, look at edinson volquez, or k-rod, both upper 90’s hurlers.

I’ve heard this “head must clear the way” thing before but I don’t get it. I mean, I’ve never had my arm or shoulders hit my head when throwing a baseball. :reallyconfused:

But seriously, do you think it is necessary to to “clear the head” in order to throw hard? I’m sure I could name plenty of pitchers who don’t yet still throw hard.

The only reason I can see for the “clearing the head out of the way” thing is if you WANT to get a high arm slot. As for the head getting in the way of shoulder rotation, I’m with Roger, I just don’t get it.

Hips open up a little early, causing the body to twist open and maybe take some velo away. Most of the time when hips open up to soon, the upper body doesn’t, but yours does, either way it should be fixed. Stride directly to the target leading with the heel, land on the heel and allow heel to pivet and plant the toe towards your target. This should happen as you throw, you are already open when your arm is behind you. Also, when you finish, finish with your head and chest going towards the target or over that front knee, this will give better direction, desired arm slot, and will prevent falling off.