How am i doing so far?

im 14. im 5’11.5’ and 144 lbs. ive been lifting my butt off trying to get some size. eating all the right things. loading up on protein. lifting about 5 times a week. ive gained 6 lbs this past week. i throw about 74 mph. played a little varsity as an 8th grader. have great mechanics. work with ex pros at a baseball academy since i was about 9. i can hit my spots. didnt throw a curve when i was younger. throwing with our towns college team and with other college players i know. im athletic and have a good frame for a pitcher. i try to copy mark prior and jon lester.(except for priors inverted w) i quit all my other sports to focus on baseball. do everything at home.(miror work, towel drill ect.) i was wondering if i kept it up . how hard i could throw the next few years during my freshman soph. jr. and sr. seasons…how big i could get too. because im supposed to be 6’3’’ to 6’4’’ and my dad weighed 220 lbs. when he was in his 20’s if that means anything i guess.

You played varsity as an 8th grader…where I come from thats not possible because you arent in high school yet. Does anyone else smell something?

[quote=“MrLee”]You played varsity as an 8th grader…where I come from thats not possible because you arent in high school yet. Does anyone else smell something?[/quote]Like your signature! :stuck_out_tongue: :?: :!:

EDIT: When I was 14 I just threw hard. When didn’t have this Internet thingy to turn to for advice and YouToob was nothing more that the television.

Not to stop saying “I”, I’d like to mention that I was the second hardest pitcher when I was in 8th. We had a guy named “John Smith” that threw harder than me, he was about 6’1" and heaving the ball over 80mph (ended up being looked at by Met scouts by Mid Freshman year of high school)…

Anywho, I was throwing in the high sixties - low, low seventies when I was your age and I ended up in the upper eighties when I finished my last year of high school. But, I didn’t have “professionals” helping me just my high school coaches. :idea:

It all depends on how you treat your gun and develop yourself as a pitcher.

yeah u can here in iowa because we’re like one of 2 states who has there season like way later in the summer. but yeah there still isnt a lot of ppl who do but i got to. i pitched in 4 games one conference game. one against muskatine with a kid who got drafted but went to tcu. i got him out twice but i got lucky he was amazing. once against the #3 ranked team in 4a and pitched 3, 1 hit relief innings and the last inning at substate when we were getting our ass kicked haha but yeah im not lying. iowa’s just weird.

His sig is in km/hr, as JD pointed out to me.

Other n that, good work so far. Varsity in 8th grade. Well, keep working at it. And welcome to the forum!

EDIT: However, be sure to not bulk up too much. Flexibility is huge in pitching, and getting too bulky will counteract that. You’ll see a lot of posts on the pulling v. pushing aspect of sports here.

I not sayin this is wrong…but I’m just pointing out that at 14 you could benefit from multisport participation. Basketball and football or UGH!!..soccer maybe even a martial art or wrestling. I just think its wiser to do some cross training so to speak and take a break from baseball so you don’t burn out.

c’mon!! :slight_smile:

Golf FTW!!!

Actually, a correct golf swing utilizes many of the muscles used in throwing. Helps build explosiveness when your swinging a club 100mph or more.

Or in batting.
Reading this, I was reminded of a story about Johnny Mize in the early ‘50s when the Yankees picked him up to play first base. They were scheduled to play against the Indians one night in Cleveland, and someone—probably a newspaperman—went looking for Mize and couldn’t find him at first. He was found after a while in the Yankees’ locker room, practicing golf swings with his bat. GOLF swings, for cryin’ out loud! When the newspaperman asked him what that was all about, Mize said simply, "Garcia’s pitching tonight."
Mike Garcia was a big hard-throwing righthander who gave the Yankees more trouble than the rest of the Indians’ pitching staff put together. But he was a creature of habit, and his habit was to start just about every batter off with a fast ball low and inside. Well, the game started, and Mize came to bat with two men on base. Garcia’s first pitch was—yup, you guessed it, a fast ball low and inside. And Mize was ready for it. He golfed that pitch way back into the right-field stands for a three-run homer and a lead which the Yanks never relinquished.
You can be sure he never saw another fast ball low and inside from Senor Garcia. :slight_smile:

Steven Ellis wrote:

Sorry Steven…when I was in school it was the big three…Baseball, basketball and football. For those who couldn’t or wouldn’t there was golf and tennis and intermural wrestling. Soccer was…well something Europeans did.

In college at Penn State I was introduced to soccer…a little too late to make it a lifetime sport or even something I’d watch on TV. Its just a regional thing I guess. Now Ice Hockey! Your talkin now… :coolshades:

zita, it amazes me how you can relate any topic to an old yankee story. you should really write a book with all the stories you have.

[quote=“Dino”]Steven Ellis wrote:

Sorry Steven…when I was in school it was the big three…Baseball, basketball and football. For those who couldn’t or wouldn’t there was golf and tennis and intermural wrestling. Soccer was…well something Europeans did.

In college at Penn State I was introduced to soccer…a little too late to make it a lifetime sport or even something I’d watch on TV. Its just a regional thing I guess. Now Ice Hockey! Your talkin now… :coolshades:[/quote]

Ice Hockey – Canadians
Soccer – rest of world

And that is why I am playing football in the fall, basketball in the winter, and baseball in the spring and summer.

[quote=“jpeavy44”]His sig is in km/hr, as JD pointed out to me.
quote]

no its still miles per hour lol

Right …

Note to tdbaseball: I forget where I read this, but someone pointed out that the history of the Yankees is the history of baseball. All these stories—and many more—that I quote from time to time have been recorded somewhere, in one book or another. I just get a kick out of retelling them because they have a bearing on something I have seen in one of these posts—they illustrate one point or another.
And the same goes for one story or another that has a bearing on one of my own experiences as a pitcher. 8)

my biggest concern is your weight gain. i understand that it is not healthy to gain more than 1 lb per week. i think you said you gained 6. that is surprising. be careful and keep working.