House and football

Seems Drew Brees worked with House.

Yep, back when Brees incurred an injury and, I believe, he was told he wouldn’t throw again, House was the one who rehabbed him and got him back throwing again.

Maybe those who poke fun at House for his use of footballs as a training/conditioning tool should think again. :nod:

[quote=“Roger”]Yep, back when Brees incurred an injury and, I believe, he was told he wouldn’t throw again, House was the one who rehabbed him and got him back throwing again.

Maybe those who poke fun at House for his use of footballs as a training/conditioning tool should think again. :nod:[/quote]

Nothin’ wrong with throwing the ole pigskin around. Most coaches are way too conservative.

A pro knuckleballer I’ve talked to in the past (Bill Downs) actually encourages warming up a little with a football because it keeps you behind the ball, this is specifically meant for knuckleballers but I think that could help some other pitchers too.

Take a quick look at Nolan Ryan’s Pitcher’s Bible one of these days.

Tom House was the pitching coach for the Texas Rangers in late 80’s to early 90’s and one of the drills he introduced to the Rangers pitching staff at that time was flat-ground throwing with footballs. There’s a cool picture in that book of The Express making like a quarterback.

Once when my son and I were down at the NPA facility in San Diego, House showed us a 1-foot diameter circle on the far wall. He said that near the end of his rehab Brees was able to put a football into that circle 4 out of 5 times, from 80 feet.