Horrible

We played one of the better teams in our conference today and the first game we tied and our pitcher threw a no hitter. I started the second and gave up 10 ER in 1 1/3 innings and 1 K and 1 BB. I have never done that bad and I was throwing strikes. I don’t know what it is but it’s like everyone is getting better and I’m staying the same. Everyone is starting t hit better and I haven’t had a decent hit really all fall. Pitching’s been ok but I throw to slow to match up with these guys. Everyone else on my team is throwing around 80 I’m barley 70 and I’m a junior. I really don’t know what to do. :cry:

Time to make some changes. Falling into a rut can really hurt your gains, so you want to provide your body with different stimuli.

Can you give some background on yourself? Age, weight, height, where you are now as far as pitching, where you’d like to be by season start? Are you on any type of strength program?

Try not to get too discouraged.

I’m 16, I weigh about 178 lbs., and I’m 5’11’’. As far as pitching goes now I’m doing fall as a tryout sort of for spring since I play for my school’s team. I throw just around 70 I’m guessing but I don’t think I’m any higher than mid 70’s. I have ok control to but I can’t really locate my curve and I have a hard time locating my fastball in. Also I’m working on a change but it needs a lot of work I hope to have that by season start. I want to be at least a reliever on the varsity team and at least throwing 4-5 mph faster by season start also but control comes first so. And no I am not on a strength training program I do tubing all the time though not that that makes up for that. But the fall season ends on the 28th so I have all November, December, and January to work.

we are basically the same. i’m 18 year old 175lbs and im 6 feet tall. i throw around 75 too and i could probably hit 80 if i was SERIOUSLY in a good day and throwing 100%. i’m not overpowering or even equallypowering at all. and i dont want to start tell you just hit your spots and change speeds because it’s pretty much the hardest thing to do in baseball. i sometimes have control problems i am pretty constent on outside part of the plate for right hander (im lefty) but cant be constant anywhere else. one thing i do which might be fine for you is sop using your curveball as a primarly pitch. if you do that you can throw it as a surprise and dont have to worry about location. as long as it starts outside zone and hits zone batters usually will look. an other thing, last year i started to cut my fastball a bit and that helps me hit the inside part of the plate for righties. that change up you’re working on you should try to feel it like a fastball like grip it circle change and make sure you do something with your index and thumb that make them stick together, i mean when tyou throw circle change you dont want to open the circlre keep it close and feel your middle and ring fingers like they are your index middle finger. thats not a magic trick but at least you will have something to start on. you wont see batters getting 10 feet out in front like major league changeups but maybe sometimes when the batters are really anxious but this pitch is like a sinker you iwll get batters to hit it poorly and thats how you should see pitching since you dont have nothing o make them cry make them angry because they dont undersand why they cant hit you well. most of the time they will say they have a bad day but whatever, you’re the one with the W at the end.

Well velocity wise I am similar in stature. I’m 5’ 11" 185 pounds and I throw about 73-75.

One thing that I have though that other guys don’t though is the knuckleball, if you can throw a good one that will help. Even a mediocre knuckleball mixed in every now and then will work.

Well, I’d say that you have a decent foundation to build on. You’ll just need to focus your efforts this off-season to maximize your potential. Figure out a schedule that you can stick to as far as throwing and strength training. Try to find a good pitching coach in your area to work on mechanics and any other problems.

I’m not sure how long you’d have to follow Tuff Cuff in order to get the results (maybe email Steven and ask him), but that would be a wise investment if you have access to the weightroom at school during the offseason.

But the main thing you need to remember is to always stay positive. I always remember Burt Blyleven’s quote about 80 percent of the time your stuff is just going to be average, the other 20% will be terrible or really good. Being successful as a pitcher is all about stepping onto the mound and making things work with that average stuff. Dig deep and compete. Find ways to win.

TUFFCUFF is just like anything else re: weight training/weight loss/weight gain, etc. It takes 6 to 8 weeks to feel results. Then you’ve got to switch it up all over again … and in 6 to 8 weeks repeat. TUFFCUFF lays this all out. But even if you don’t get the manual, a realistic expectation for any workout is generally 6 to 8 weeks. Untrained athletes sometimes experience quicker gains.

The 6 to 8 week rule applies to throwing, too. This is why it’s so important to start your off-season throwing program at least 8 weeks prior to the start of the baseball season in spring.

Well I’ll have three months to do a workout. So what would be a good workout? Because my school has a great gym one of the best in B-More as far as school weight rooms go. I’m pretty much open to any workouts because I have the time during the off season. I would invest in tuff cuff but my funds are kinda low right now…lol so I just need a workout.

“The best workout is the one you follow.”

I’ve posted quite a few, so have CF and Barber. Take a look and try some different things out. In the beginning period, I’d just focus on getting stronger in all aspects. Then when you get closer to the season I’d look to focus more on lighter loads with lots of explosiveness.