Horrible accuracy

i have an issue here. i cant get my fastball across the plate anymore. its a wild pitch almost every time i throw it and if its a strike its just pure luck. I can throw a pretty good curveball and i have fairly good accuracy with it, but the fastball wont go where i want it to anymore. I don’t know if its a mechanics issue or what. i changed my wind up a little bit and thats part of the problem but i cant go back to what i used to do, i cant remember what it was…i just need help

Get a good pitching coach to check you out on this. It might well be a problem with mechanics, and there are several aspects to this. You might, for example, be falling off too much to one side or another, or you might not be following through the way you should, or it could even be the grip. You need to explore this in depth, and in time you could find the solution to this problem. There’s a section here called “Find A Pitching Coach”, and you might be able to locate one in your area. Good luck. :idea:

i took a look and theres no pitching coaches within 50 miles. a little far. i think it could be my wind up and follow through. do you have like maybe some pictures of someone else doing their wind up and follow through that i could emulate? and what is a grip you would recommend. im willing to try alot of things here

gogoWS,

First, relax–if you had good control in the past, you will very likely be able to get it back. Even if you never had good control, you can develop it if you take the right approach. There are no short-cuts, however.

Second, inconsistency in the strike zone is linked to inconsistency in your release point–that is, if we’re only talking about your fastball here, it is logical to assume that if you arrive at exactly the same release point in the same amount of time for every delivery…every fastball would go to the same spot, reproducibly.

The paradox here, and this is Tom House’s concept–not my original thinking–is that you can’t fix an inconsistent release point by focusing on the release point. That’s because the mechanics, timing, and sequencing issues that come before the release point are the factors that determine whether it is reproducible or not reproducible.

Maybe the best advice I can give you, not having seen any video, and not knowing much about you, is: Begin from the beginning. Make sure you are starting your motion from a stable, athletic position so that your head does not go wildly north or south through to foot-strike. Get your front hip going toward the target as you begin your leg-lift…if you have a tendency to “stop at the top” of your leg lift, try getting rid of that. It’s difficult to maintain static balance on one leg and then generate forward momentum from a one-legged balance point. On the other hand, if your momentum is already going forward into your leg-lift, it is pretty easy to achieve good dynamic balance in the forward direction.

Your posture should be such that your post foot makes a drag-line, perhaps about two of your foot lengths away from the rubber, after every delivery. Generally speaking, your dragline should finish on a line from the center of the rubber to the center of HP. If it doesn’t, start repositioning your starting position on the rubber until your dragline does finish in the middle.

Make sure yor glove-side is controlled and has the same action on every delivery. The glove-side should stabilize out front (briefly) and you should bring your chest to the glove during launch of the ball. Consistency in what you are doing on the glove-side will absolutely have a huge effect on the consistency of your release point.

There are some other things, maybe, but that’s probably more than enough to think about right now.

If I were your coach, I’d emphasize doing lots of bullpen work at ~75% velocity with a focus on getting a very consistent set of efficient mechanics, sequenced and timed properly, and when satisfied that you had found a consistent groove, I’d ask you to throw lots and lots of low-impact (again, ~75% velo) reps, until you don’t have to think about what you’re doing anymore.

There are some other outstanding coaches here at LTP, and I’m sure I’ve missed things or said some things in confusing ways…keep asking questions and talking over your results, good or not so good, and try to get more input from the coaches here.

Don’t panic, focus on what you need to do and start doing it. The importance of establishing reproducible mechanics, and then ingraining them with lots of quality reps, cannot be emphasized enough.

As long as you are not trying to inappropriately rush back from an injury, you should be able to regain your consistency.

Thanks for your advice laflippin. I’ll get back to you in a day or two after I try the things you suggested

practice not throwing 100% or even 85%. Practice just throwing your fast ball atleast at like 75%. Get the idea of throwing your fast ball with control. Then once you get a good chunk over the plate, start adding on speed.