Honey

I was watching a program last night about Egypt and the building of the pyramids. An amazing thing that the physicians of that time did to promote the healing of wounds for workers, was to apply a coat of honey to the wound.

I remember arriving at our stadium and finding a group of our players standing outside because no one had a key to unlock the player’s gate entrance. The rest of the park was locked up solid. But, I did remember a key that use to hang on the security guard’s timecard rack, inside. That timecard rack was in an place not under lock and key. All someone had to do was to scale the fence.

One of our guys scaled the fence and got his socks caught on the top of the twisted metal barbs. He also scratched up his angle pretty good.

When we got in, we got to the first aid kit and with alcohol wipes, soap and water I cleaned up his ankle the best I could.

One of groundskeepers heard about his injury and came over to him in the locker room, cleaned up the wound a little, then swiped some honey on it. At first the guy was a little resistant - understandably so, but in the end let the man do it. Shortly thereafter we all found out that honey is a natural wound care application.

Funny thing about that entire situation though. Here a guy is being treated like a waffle from another guy just moments before that was spreading weed-n-feed! Go figure.

Coach B., it’s not surprising. If you’ll check any number of health and welfare sites, any number of catalogs of things like “healthy living” or “better living” or the “Vermont Country Store”, you’ll find that honey is still used extensively for that purpose, to promote healing and prevent infection. It does have certain antibacterial properties.