Holding Runners Handout

I’ve got a holding runners from the mound handout i’ve developed over the years that we put in our team manual. if you want a copy email me at; coachd_04@yahoo.com
It’s nothing new just what we do and emphasize. stuff i’ve adopted from clinics, dvds, experience, etc.

You’d be surprised at how many pitchers—mostly righthanders, by the way—are weak in this department, and I just want to tell you that you are providing a real public service by making this handout available.
I remember when I was having a problem with that, in large part because I was righthanded and also because as a starting pitcher who was keeping the runners off the bases I didn’t have much occasion to do this. I told my pitching coach—the incredible Ed Lopat—about this, and he told me not to worry about it, that I wasn’t out there to set records with pickoff moves but just to hold the runners close to the bag. He said, "You can throw over there once—maybe twice—just to let the guy know you know he’s there. And go after the batter, because he’s the one you have to get out."
We spent one gloomy Sunday morning working on this, practicing with phantom runners ranging from the “bump on a log”, a runner who wasn’t going anywhere, all the way to the definite threat to steal. We worked on easy throws, snap throws, assorted pickoff moves. And some time later he brought a few guys with him—“kids” he said, plus another one to hit grounders and line drives, and I had a chance to practice with real live base runners. Later on I found out that they weren’t kids; they were several of the Yankees’ second-line players, and Lopat told me he thought I would get a kick out of getting in some real infield practice with them! Believe me, I did, and in the next game I pitched—it was a relief appearance—there was a runner on first and I picked him off with a snap throw. :smiley: Believe me, that kind of workout, that experience in a vital part of PFP, was priceless.