Hitting

when do u step towards the plate
where should ur elbow be, i hear ppl saying to keep it up
which stance gives the most power(open, closed, regular)
what can i do to make contact with the ball more often

Good questions.

1. You don’t step towards the plate rather you rotate your front foot (a small step towards the pitcher or dropping your heel to the ground) about 45 degrees…this opens up your hips and helps generate power.

2. As you rotate your front foot 45 degrees toward the pitcher your whole upper body (shoulders,hands forearms) as a unit rotates back slightly towards the catcher. So, while your lower half rotates towards the pitcher your upper half rotates slightly towards the catcher…like twisting a rubber band. This is where you can get power.

3. Your elbow is a matter of personal choice or style…do what makes you comfortable. The important thing is to keep your elbow tucked into your body when you swing (launch). So, the elbow position (up or down) isn’t really important as long as it tucks in to ribs and waist because this also creates power.

4. Your stance should be regular to slightly open for power because it helps to open up the hips. By regular, I presume you mean that the feet are neither open or closed but are parallel.

5. It’s hard to know how to help you make contact more often without seeing what you do at the plate. Anyway, here are some tips that may help.

Turn your head towards the pitcher so that both eyes are looking in the direction of the pitcher. Make sure you look at where the ball will come out of the pitcher’s hand…it will usually be above his shoulder, ear or head of his throwing arm. Really concentrate in this area so that you can track the ball.

Do not lunge for the ball as this will make for pop ups and lazy ground balls because your weight transfers to the front leg. Think about rotating (as described above) rather than a big front step. The next time you swing see if you can figure out if your weight is on your front leg or back leg when the swing is complete.

Hope that helps.