Hitting (pitchers hit in high school)

I play JV for my highschool and although the varsity team uses a DH, we usually have the pitchers hit. I have seen a weighted ball program that said to use a 4 oz ball, a 5 oz ball (regulation), and a 6 oz ball. This was said to improve velocity. If this is true, would swinging a light bat, normal bat, then heavy bat increase bat speed?

The people that preach the overload, underload principle generally do teach it for hitting as well. Two of which being over at baseballfit.com and setpro.com

Whether or not overload, underload works for hitting I have not really pursued it enough to find out. It is logically correct, but I’m not sure that it wouldn’t mess with other elements of hitting such as something as critical as timing.

I understand how this would mess up timing, but what if you were just taking swings and not actually hitting? If it can increase throwing speed shouldn’t it be able to increase bat speed?

[quote=“centerfield2150”]It is logically correct…[/quote]There are those who disagree with this statement.

[quote=“nd943”]If it can increase throwing speed shouldn’t it be able to increase bat speed?[/quote]This implies that it actually does increase throwing speed, an assumption that causes much disagreement.

Regarding weighted bats, here’s a quote from Dr. Brent Rushall, quoting others.

I should correct my statement.

If you believe in overload, underload for throwing, then yes logically it would work could for the swing as well.

See the article in “the journal of strength and conditioning research” titled: effects of weighted bat implement training on bat swing velocity VOL 9 no. 4 pp. 247-250. The answer to your question is yes your bat speed can and does increase with the CORRECT over/under training. I have used this with my own son as well as others and they all benefited from it greatly. Another drill we used was hitting a mostly deflated soccer/basketball off a tee, this teaches a person to power through the baseball. What many of these posters do NOT understand is, there is a time and place for this type of training and its NOT at baseball practice!! It is done during the offseason when the person SHOULD be doing some type of training for their activity.

Another vote of yes. I personally used it for softball on the weekends and my 13yr old as well.

His routine went something like this.

24.5 normal bat he swing about 25 times to warm up.

Then used his HighSchool bat which is 28.5 ounces about 20-25 times.

Then swang with a maple bat with donut a bit heavier about 20-25 swings.

Then used his regular bat 20 times.

Then used a very light hit stick about 20-25 times.

The used a light fungo bat for about 20-25 swings.

Did this routine 2x a week for about 2 months leading up to FROSH AAU season and did very well. Figures the weighted balls worked why not overload/ underload training for hitting? Did not need a scientific study to show us that it worked. Was hitting lines drives at the beginning of the year, now currently hitting more doubles in the gaps and over heads of shallow outfielders.

I did the similar routine using softball bats and bats with a weighted sleeve. Just remember there are two swings. One swing is your normal swing and the other is the swing with weights(or heavier bats). Swing as hard as you can during the overload/underload training.

Good luck and remember to keep that head still!!!
:lol:

dm59,
That’s pretty misleading. The Otsuji, et al, study you quoted by way of Rushall was looking at the immediate effects of swinging an overweight bat in the on deck circle and had absolutely nothing to do with overload/underload training if I remember correctly. Integrity counts.

One of the keys to underload/overload training is to have a fair percentage of swings at the normal weight as part of the program to ensure maintaining proper mechanics.

I’ve seen the studies on overload/underload training for throwing and despite some naysayers saying otherwise for a buck they were well run and pretty conclusive in showing that overload/underload training is effective and reasonably safe for throwing. This is not surprising given the proven effectiveness in various Olympic sports.

I haven’t seen the studies related to hitting, but I’ve got no reason to believe that it wouldn’t be effective and since there’s even less risk involved than with the throwing I don’t see any reason to not do an overload/underload hitting training program if it can be done without taking away from BP and other hitting instruction/training.

I have my son (who is 13 years old) using 23/31, 26/31, and 29/32 oz/in bats to practice his swing with. He uses the 26 oz / 31" bat in games. He uses the heavy one to take swings at a ball on a tee while practicing aggressive back hip turns and forcing the bat head around on the ball. The 23 oz bat he just uses to swing as absolutely fast as he can while maintaining his balance throughout the swings.

I think he’s really controlling his bat head well this year after doing this for the past 6 months.

What a walk down memory lane…Baseball Bum, Chin and Centerfield…great posters of old…some of my favorite people 8) and of course our great administrator Mr. “I’m not Dick Mills dammit” DM59

Of course he’s not Dick Mills - he’s Dr. Mike! :rofl2:

:lol:

I forgot about chin, I often wonder what CAdad is up too.