Hitting Off the Tee

I know this is a pitching forum, but right now i am focusing on gaining strength and my hitting since i am giving my arm a break. Anyways i was wondering if anybody hits off a tee. What should you work on when hitting off of it? I recently made it able for me to it in my basement so i plan on doing plenty of soft toss, and tee work. I would just like to know what you work on and look for when hitting off the tee. Thanks.

I saw this coaching by a batting coach on a club I was with for just a short time.

He placed what looked like a basketball on a tee and had a batter slowly concentrate on hitting the large ball on the top third, then dead center, then the bottom third of the ball’s surface. Each time the batter would miss that “third portion” location by striking some other location, they’d stop and review why? I remember the batter would “choke up” on the bat and thus would gain greater control of his swing’s contact location. Then, he’d progressively go down the handle until he reached his normal spot, then he’d start the drill again.
The large basketball size ball gave way to a softball, then the drill would start all over again. Same disciplines.
The softball gave way to a baseball, then a ping-pong ball. At the end of the week, this player was pretty good at making contact.

Beyond the tee drill, I do remember that a lot of batters - under this coach’s direction would stand in the batter’s box while my guys worked out. Each time one of my pitchers would deliver, he’d asked the player =- “what was that?” Pitch recognition was the drill for his people, while workouts did fine for mine. It got to the point that these people under this batting coach;s direction got pretty good at knowing pitch recognition and contact location. By the way - when they went elsewhere, they knocked us around but good.

Coach B.

All my kids have used to tee in every lesson they took, 1 bucket to start every lesson, the instructors would look for mechanical flaws that you cant see as the ball is in the air, such as, not letting the bat tip swing out, getting the hips to the ball first and not with the hands, work contact points for inside, outside, up and down. Keeping your hands inside a baseball and inside the bat tip. Work on contact points, body allignment and making sure that you don’t follow the ball out etc.

I think the work is invaluable…good luck!

Thanks for the suggestion, Coach B. I will start to do that. Will also work the different spots like buwhite suggested. Anyone have anything else? I will most likely hit for 15-20 minutes everyday. More if i have the time. Some will be soft toss though.

I like going right from tee work to soft toss from the side, moving the ball around a whole bunch including about 10% that get thown a long way up (about my head hight) into the air and I have to wait till they are in the zone to swing away, great for changeups and curve balls, it makes it so that you have to start your hips then wait there with your hands back till it’s in the zonce. Then move to underhand toss from the front also mixing in some curveballs. Then go to regular throwing, typically just fastballs and work on hips, then hands.

Tee drill work is a must for every age group all the way up to MLB. Tony Gwynn always practiced off of the tee.

A very simple drill is to hit 30 baseballs.

Set the tee up three different ways.

10 balls with the tee setup for a pitch down the middle of the plate.

10 balls with the tee setup for an outside pitch.

10 balls with the tee setup for an inside pitch.

[quote=“baseball_hitting_tips”]Tee drill work is a must for every age group all the way up to MLB. Tony Gwynn always practiced off of the tee.

A very simple drill is to hit 30 baseballs.

Set the tee up three different ways.

10 balls with the tee setup for a pitch down the middle of the plate.

10 balls with the tee setup for an outside pitch.

10 balls with the tee setup for an inside pitch.[/quote]

Actually i was doing exactly that just last night. I got it from a hitting camp i went to earlier. Great way to work on different locations.

And i will add the higher toss to work on the off-speed pitches while soft tossing. Thanks for the suggestions.

Another important thing is that when your working with outside pitches is not to try to pull them put to hit them op field for a base hit instead of a grounder to the first basemen if you try to pull them.