Hitting Coach

I am looking for a hitting coach for my 10 year old son. We have tried a number of local coaches but haven’t found a good fit. Does anyone know of any good hitting coaches in the far western burbs of Chicago (Aurora, Oswego, Plainfield area)? Is there a hitting forum page similar to “letstalkpitching” that I can ask my question on? Thanks!

A 10 year old has a lot of things going on- all at the same time. His build, strength/lack-there-of, attention span and personality are just a few. So I can understand and appreciate your finding a “good fit”. It’s not easy by any stretch of the imagination.

I’m not a hitting coach, but I’ve watched and studied those that are, and have found some very simple techniques that might be of value to you and your son. These techniques that I saw were for players coming back from some sort of injury, sprain, and things like that.

1. Find the lightest bat you can buy and have your son spend some serious time “swatting flies.” Yes, “swatting flies.” That’s kind-a old school for getting use to the weight and the proportion’s of the bat itself. Have your son hold any bat about 3 inches from the heel and see if your son is in control at the first part of his swing… right off the back, and/ or being dragged by the bat at the end of the swing… meaning being pulled/yanked forward, then the bat’s too heavy AND out of proportion to his shoulder’s and arm’s control. By proportion, I mean some bat’s have a heavy barrel to them, starting at about 18 inches from the heel. Worth brand bats are like that (in my opinion) His swing should be deliberate and smooth all through the power swing.
  2. Put a batting Tee up and have him swing and make contact. Be ready to chase about 3 dozen balls with this exercise. The trick here is to keep the eyes focused on the ball all through the smooth swing. Don’t have your son jab at the ball. Get use to the bat and his smooth swing making contact.
  3. Get yourself a small screen of sorts to sit behind for protection and low toss ball after ball. A wired fence gate door works pretty good here for your purposes. A box store carries these and they’re not that expensive. Prop up the wire fence door the best you can, sit on a bucket, toss ball after batt - at about 20 ft away to your son, and let him just practice making contact.

I’ll bet you even money that within a few weeks, with just three days a week at the least, with the right bat that feels good to your son, he’ll be making some pretty good contacts. Better yet, he’ll probably fit into a style and pattern of adjusting himself to what works best for him.

My suggestions are a far cry from being a hitting coach. To be honest here, I tried it when a regular coach was out for a few weeks, and I stunk at it. Best wishes find a coach in your area.

Justin Stone
http://www.elitebaseballtraining.com/staff/justin-stone/