Hitting a heavy bag

is this a good hitting drill? i have a big punching bag that i swing into and i heard this drill is supposed to help. are you supposed to hit the bag and follow through on the swing or just stop right at contact into the bag? also can this drill hurt your arms or shoulders because of the weight of the bag?

Just like hitting the immovable tire, avoid !!!

This would probably run the risk of some wrist pain.

Try hitting a semi flat basketball off of a tee.

Or try hitting a 16 inch softball off a tee. I used to do that in my hitting days.

terprhp, why do you say to avoid this? i never liked hitting the tire because it has no give unlike the punching bag which gives alittle. is there injury involved with this or just messing up my swing?

yanks, ya i have heard thats good but its hard to keep the semi flat bball on the tee.

corsair, can you explain the 16 inch softball

[quote=“tdbaseball”]terprhp, why do you say to avoid this? i never liked hitting the tire because it has no give unlike the punching bag which gives alittle. is there injury involved with this or just messing up my swing?

yanks, ya i have heard thats good but its hard to keep the semi flat bball on the tee.

[/quote]

The punching bag may have some give but not enough give imo. I have never had any trouble sticking a basketball on a tee. It doesn’t need much of the air removed for the drill. When hitting the ball, you should be able to complete the swing. Hitting a tire or bag, I’m guessing that your swing is coming to a complete stop.

[quote=“tdbaseball”]terprhp, why do you say to avoid this? i never liked hitting the tire because it has no give unlike the punching bag which gives alittle. is there injury involved with this or just messing up my swing?

corsair, can you explain the 16 inch softball[/quote]

Here is a nice picture to put it in perspective. By hitting the softball, it is working on hitting THROUGH the ball and working on your power. It is a lot harder to hit a softball off the tee than it is a baseball. But at the same time, you will be able to take a full swing unlike with a heavy bag.
Try it out, you will see what I mean.

Go see a hitting instructor who knows what he’s doing, then take a bunch of quality swings.

Took he words right out of my mouth. This is one of the best power drills because you still have to follow through and this can start at a young age all the way through college.

I’ve seen set ups with like a small heavy bag. But it has an axis to rotate upon, and the idea is to swing right through. I have never heard any good come out of it, even though some MLB players have endorsed them. I think Morgan Ensberg has a video for one on youtube.com

I take a bathroom plunger and put the stick end into the tee to make an oversized platform for the basketball to sit on. You want to take about half the air out of the ball so you don’t get so much bounce back from the ball when you hit it. You just want the added resistance to build strength in your swing. The ball should not remain on the tee during this drill - you should be hitting it into a net (might need to reinforce the net though) or backstop.

Has anyone tried the muhl power bag.

You supposedly hit the heavy bag and it swings around. It appears you would have to swing through the bag to get it to move in the right direction.

Wouldn’t hitting a softball take your contact away because your getting used to a heavier object?. O-o