Hitters vs Pitchers

hey guys whats up.

I was doing some reasearch on you tube and watching videos and i just saw what hitters have to do for training and such. Hitters/position players i mean.

Anyways it seems like the routines they do are endless. meaning that they can do them for a few hours or so. As for pitching goes. once you hit about 50 pitches you are done for a bullpen session.

I have always wondered this. Like hitters could bat 2-3 hours couldn’t they if they wanted to. They could also hit all day and every day as well. And does lifting really heavy weights concern them as well?

It just seems like hitters are having so much fun.

Yea, I noticed this too. I think this is why there are more position players than pitchers. To get better at hitting… well, you hit! The thing about pitching is that is all about preparation and strengthening your arm. If you pitch for 2-3 hours straight its not going to make you a better pitcher its just going to damage your arm and hurt you.

The thing I really like about pitching is that I know if I can outwork another player during the offseason its going to pay off when the depth chart is made… its not all about who has the better hand-eye… or who has the best muscles… or body. Its about who has the strongest arm that can last… who has the best mechanics… who can execute pitches and knows how to pitch a game… This is why I am a pitcher!

Well—speaking as a former pitcher, I’m not so sure that batters have all the fun. Sure, some of them find themselves facing pitchers they call “cousin”—they belt them from here to Timbuktu and back and have the greatest time doing it. But others find themselves facing pitchers who call them “cousin” and get them out almost all the time.
I remember one particular case of the latter: Ed Lopat, who came into the American League in 1944, spent four years being a good pitcher with a horrendous team (the White Sox, who stank on hot ice at the time), then was traded to the Yankees in 1948 and spent 7 1/2 years being a very good pitcher with a great team. From the beginning Mr. Lopat zeroed in on the Cleveland Indians and went on to compile a 40-13 lifetime record against them. At that time the Indians were considered a very good team—but they couldn’t beat him for sour apples, and all sorts of stories and rumors circulated concerning how he beat them. The fact was they just couldn’t hit his pitching; he was a finesse pitcher par excellence who didn’t have a fast ball worthy of the name so he outfoxed them every step of the way. In fact, in no time at all he became the one pitcher they feared more than any other in the American League!
Every team has had its nemesis. Every pitcher has had his. That’s baseball. 8)

yeah i know its really wird how different the 2 are

Exactly.
A few years ago I did a paper for SABR (Society for American Baseball Research) which I titled “Aspects of Nemesis”. In it I examined the ongoing phenomenon of killer pitchers, and you’d be surprised how many of them there are in the major leagues! It all started back at the turn of the century, with a Chicago Cubs pitcher named Jack Pfiester who became known as “Jack the Giant Killer” after he beat the New York Giants three times in a single week. I took a look at the psychological aspects of the phenomenon, and one of the most terrifying examples of this was Ed Lopat and what he did to the Cleveland Indians over the twelve years that he pitched in the American League.
And we’re seeing a few new examples of the “killer pitcher” nowadays. Yes, it goes on—there are a good number of pitchers who call certain teams “cousin” and beat them to a pulp. And there are batters who continue to call certain pitchers by that name—again, we go back in time, and we consider the case of Elden Auker. He was a very fine pitcher and he beat a lot of teams regularly—but he couldn’t get Tommy Henrich out to save himself! It’s a fascinating area of study. 8)