Hitters view-(video)

Here is 2 pitches that I filmed today. I pitched into a mesh backstop, it was the best thing I could get a hitters view from. I had them clocked also. Mainly I filmed it so I could get some opinions on the speed and movement compaired to my fastball.

1st pitch: 2-seamer-Speed:80mph.

2nd pitch: Curveball-Speed:71mph.

I have always had a really crappy curve and recently I have practiced it for about 1 and a 1/2 months. I have survived on a knuckleball and 2-seamer for the last 2 years and competition is stepping up, so I figured I’d need a new pitch to mix in there. Tell me what you think of it in correlation to speed of my fastball and movement. I would like any tips or pointers you have. And the speed of my Knuckleball is 57-60mph just to give you a idea of how fast my pitches are so you can compare them.

Thanks, WhiteSox101 :wink:

Bump^

If ask me u look like areally raw pitcher, it seems like ur self taught, am i right? U have a radar gun on u because the difference in speed on both didn’t look as large as 9 mphs, i also don’t think that fastball was 80 mphs but i could be wrong…

I am semi-self taught, a little pitcher in me was embraced and burned into my mechanics at the age of 12. I have been coach taught since then. This was not done off of a mound so noting to judge but the pitches. Yup and 80mph it was. My friend has a radar gun and I was using it. His dad is a cop. Get in the cages with a 80mph’er and see. Thanks for the input though. What do you think of the movement of the curveball?

well it needs work. Can’t really see the rotation on the ball so i can’t really pin point the problem. I have always had problems with a curveball preseason. I’m in grade 12 now in Canada and i first learned to throw a curveball in grade 9 in which i taught myself it and i had extremely good results(it was like a slurve that broke just as much as bronson arroyo’s) but i lost it in the off-season. Recently i have become more serious w/ baseball and since my coach has an indoor facility, i’m able to work on pitching (throwng in and around the mid 80s) and hitting through the cold winter. My coach taught me the Knuckle curve this year and i have been having alot of success w/ the movement but i cannot really throw it for strikes yet. I think u should go to ur coach and learn it from him instead of learning it from the internet. Be patient w/ it tho, it will come…

I would post up another video to better showcase the movement of the pitch. From looking at it, it doesn’t look too bad, but it could definitely use more movement. Keep working hard at it! :slight_smile:

To the poster above: Not all coaches know how to throw curveballs, or teach a pitcher to throw one. If you have a reputable pitching coach in your area, you could go see him about it.

What kind of movement are you looking for in the curveball? I’m a big fan of the 12-6 drop; that’s the kind I throw, although an abundant of injuries kept me off the mound most of the summer, so I didn’t really throw it that often. Not to mention my hs coaches wouldn’t allow me to throw it in fall ball, but then again, they didn’t let me work on my change up either. :x anyways… I’m ranting, so I’ll just end this post now… Keep up the good work!

[quote="lbarber4
To the poster above: Not all coaches know how to throw curveballs, or teach a pitcher to throw one. If you have a reputable pitching coach in your area, you could go see him about it.
quote]

i agree 100%, i’m just lucky i guess cuz my coach played AAA ball for the Red Sox and is quite reputable in the province (state for US)

I will try to get a better view this weekend. When I have time. I am looking for more of a horizontal movement rather than drop. From the looks of the video above, it is the first time I have seen my own curve froma batters view, it looks more between a slider and a curve. Like a tighter slurve 2-8 or 2-7 I am not really sure. I have been throwing it for about a 1 and a 1/2 months now hardcore. My coach knows nothing about the knuckle curve. So…I will just keep practicing and see what happens. Also Lbarber4, what type a view do you want? Do you want another hitters view. Or behind me? Just let me know. Thanks for not being so harsh…lol…

Thanks, WhiteSox101 :slight_smile:

To tell you the truth, I think you should post the video in the pitching mechanics section, and ask dm59, chris, or roger their thoughts… They’ll be able to help you out more then what I can. Maybe a back side view with another hitters view would maybe work, but this isn’t exactly my area of expertise, lol. I’m more of a supplement guru, but even in that field, I’m still a rookie. :mrgreen: lol

It’s all good man. I am looking for any advice I can get to improove my curveball. Mine was ever worse than what it was now and it has gotten better. I will keep practicing on my own anyways not matter what. It’s good to have some guidance but sometimes it’s best to figure things out for yourself. I guess I will keep throwing the curve by myself no matter what. I have somehow survived on a k-ball and a 2-seam for 2 straight seasons now. Don’t ask how, but I would like to say thanks for atleast taking a look at the video and posting some thoughts. My original purpose was to try and capture the movement and speed of my curve compaired to my fastball to have something to reference it to. I think the curve in the video is more 2-7 if anything. Any tips on how anyone else throws the curve would be nice. I am willing to experiment, but I think I have found my groove with it. I will stick with it and see what happens.

Thanks, WhiteSox101 :slight_smile:

I’m not an expert like some of these guys, but to me it looks like:

A) You’re throwing a slurve with decent movement but it breaks too soon and too far. The later that ball curves, the more likely the batter will swing at (and miss) it;

B) You’re throwing too much around your body. Your arm seems to fly out and your hand finishes too close to the hip, stressing the elbow and creating the 10-4 movement instead of a tighter, more vertical break. Dangerous pitch at your age…really, at any age.

Sometimes, you need to work with someone with experience to avoid hurting yourself by doing something incorrectly and ineffectively, or something dangerous to your health.

[quote]A) You’re throwing a slurve with decent movement but it breaks too soon and too far. The later that ball curves, the more likely the batter will swing at (and miss) it;
[/quote]

Thanks. I have never thrown a slider in my life and do not plan to. I have been bad at getting the curve to break correctly all my life. But I guess I will stick with the 10-4 movement and make the most of it.

[quote]B) You’re throwing too much around your body. Your arm seems to fly out and your hand finishes too close to the hip, stressing the elbow and creating the 10-4 movement instead of a tighter, more vertical break. Dangerous pitch at your age…really, at any age.
[/quote]

Not to be rude, But could you tell me why it is bad to finish close to the hip? I have never had any arm pain or any problems throwing like this. And by dangerous, do you mean as a pitcher or to my arm? I know a couple guys in the MLB who make good use of a slurve, To tell you the truth I don’t think I can as hard as I try throw a curveball the way it is meant to be thrown. All I get is a “slurve” kind of unique. And I haven’t had like I said any arm pain…so…?

[quote]Sometimes, you need to work with someone with experience to avoid hurting yourself by doing something incorrectly and ineffectively, or something dangerous to your health.
[/quote]

I agree 100%. I do work with a pitching coach and he has not dissaprooved of it yet. He is happy with the results and is a wise guy…but I totally understand. Thanks WhiteSox101 :slight_smile:

[quote=“WhiteSox101”]I am semi-self taught, a little pitcher in me was embraced and burned into my mechanics at the age of 12. I have been coach taught since then. This was not done off of a mound so noting to judge but the pitches. Yup and 80mph it was. My friend has a radar gun and I was using it. His dad is a cop. Get in the cages with a 80mph’er and see. Thanks for the input though. What do you think of the movement of the curveball?[/quote]it looks a little flat, you also drop your arm on the throw, which will cause hanging pitches that are flat=homeruns and gappers, drop the knuckle curve, and just throw a regular curve, just my advice, the 2 seam movement looks really good though, keep up the good work!

[quote]it looks a little flat, you also drop your arm on the throw, which will cause hanging pitches that are flat=homeruns and gappers, drop the knuckle curve, and just throw a regular curve, just my advice, the 2 seam movement looks really good though, keep up the good work!
[/quote]

Tanner!!! :slight_smile:

I understand totally. Flatness is bad, I have only been throwing the “curve” for a month and the only thing I have gotten out of it is a “slurve”. And yes I have dropped the knuckle curve about the time I started to try and throw the curve serious. I had no where to go with the knuckle curve. It was not improving, so I need a breaking pitche and decided to try and throw a curve…now its a slurve… But, thanks. I have thrown my 2-seam for along time, about 8-9yrs. Like I said 2-seamer and the knuckler are my plus pitches. Thanks for the encouragement. I will take your advice. And by dropping the arm, do you mean throwing it more like side arm? Rather than 3/4? Thanks!! :lol:

[quote=“WhiteSox101”][quote]it looks a little flat, you also drop your arm on the throw, which will cause hanging pitches that are flat=homeruns and gappers, drop the knuckle curve, and just throw a regular curve, just my advice, the 2 seam movement looks really good though, keep up the good work!
[/quote]

Tanner!!! :slight_smile:

I understand totally. Flatness is bad, I have only been throwing the “curve” for a month and the only thing I have gotten out of it is a “slurve”. And yes I have dropped the knuckle curve about the time I started to try and throw the curve serious. I had no where to go with the knuckle curve. It was not improving, so I need a breaking pitche and decided to try and throw a curve…now its a slurve… But, thanks. I have thrown my 2-seam for along time, about 8-9yrs. Like I said 2-seamer and the knuckler are my plus pitches. Thanks for the encouragement. I will take your advice. And by dropping the arm, do you mean throwing it more like side arm? Rather than 3/4? Thanks!! :lol:[/quote]kinda of, when you throw any breaking pitch, you want to be on top of the ball, i have a great curveball video if your interested

I would be more than interested!!! Post it on here or send it to me at KeenanB13@aol.com My AIM is also KeenanB13 if you ever want to talk baseball. Thanks for all the help.

WhiteSox101 :smiley:

Don’t mean to be a pest but I am kinda excited for some weird reason…You got that video yet Tanner? lol Thanks…WhiteSox101 8)

I have to smile when I look at your vids, because my own son throws a very similar “slurve”. It has been effective for him, too, though I don’t let him throw it much. He finishes a bit lower, with his throwing hand down near his opposite knee, i.e., right hand finishing near left knee.

There are many major leaguers who throw a slider like this. Randy Johnson comes to mind…very long arm swing wrapping around his body. How he does it at 6’10" is beyond me, but he does. However, throwing this pitch too much at too early a point in a pitcher’s career is a mistake. You may be the one in a thousand who doesn’t have problems because of it, but the odds are against you.

Like I said in my earlier post, I’m not an expert, and I can only tell you what I’ve been told by the experts that work with my son. Throwing a pitch like that stresses the elbow and shoulder, and the more you point the ball towards 2nd base in your set up, the more stress you place on the elbow as it swings forward and around your body.

Alright, thanks. How old is your son? Honestly, I have never had the slightest arm pain. I guess it’s weird…I have never thown a slider in my life and don’t want to. When I throw this pitch, I am throwing it like a curve, meaning it as a curve, but getting a “slurve”. I am not sure what to do. Keep throwing it untill I have the sligest arm pain, or discontinue now. I guess I will keep at it with your info in mind. Randy Johnson is a good example. I have also did pretty well with it also. Alot of people complain because the movement is so early though, but I think it can be just as effective as any other pitch. Thank you very much. If you could post any videos it would be cool…WhiteSox101 thanks…:slight_smile:

I don’t know that Randy Johnson is a great example of a slurve. He throws a pretty true slider. Not too many big league pitchers throw true slurves. Some guys throw sliders with really good tilt and they may be mistaken for slurves, but most guys are either curve or slider pitchers.