Hips

at what time during your motion should your hips open… i am having a little troubles using my hips… any tips on how to work on that would be apreciated.

Just let it happen. Lead with your hip as you stride out and that will keep them closed. Your hips will then turn naturally after your front foot lands.

Actually, your hips will start to open as your stride foot rotates to point at the target right before planting.

I didn’t know that. Do you think leading with your heel would help keep your hips closed better than if you lead with the hip?

I didn’t know that. Do you think leading with your heel would help keep your hips closed better than if you lead with the hip?[/quote]

Yes.

I find that thinking about this as leading with the heel or the side of the glove-side foot is a better cue than thinking about this as leading with the hip. The reason is that you can lead with the hip but still open the hip too soon if your toe points at the target too soon.

Here are a couple of examples of what this looks like…

One thing to notice is that the bent knee during the stride (especially in the picture of Sabathia) helps to keep the hip closed as long as possible.

I didn’t know that. Do you think leading with your heel would help keep your hips closed better than if you lead with the hip?[/quote]

Be careful - I think you’re mixing up concepts here.

When we talk about leading with the hips, we’re talking about the relationship between hips versus head and shoulders. Some pitchers get their head and shoulders out front and that is no good. The head and shoulders need to stay behind the front hip into foot strike.

When we talk about leading with the heel, we’re really talking about the rotational position of the leg and foot during stride. Leading with the heel means the leg and foot stay closed until right before foot strike. This is in contrast to leading with the toes which tends to open up the hips depending on your flexibility.

If you’re talking about a rotational issue with the front leg - that is, keeping the front leg/foot closed while you stride, then I would agree this would help keep the hips closed longer. But this does not eliminate the need to have the hips lead the head and shoulders.