Hips rotating before shoulders question

I was looking at photos from Chris site
http://www.chrisoleary.com/projects/Baseball/Pitching/RethinkingPitching/Examples/HipsRotatingBeforeShoulders.html

1. I find something weird. If you see very first picture (and some others), you will see that that guys glove arm (elbow and glove) is behind the back towards 1st base, but he didnt start rotating his shoulders yet, did he? Is he waiting to start rotation as late as possible?

2. When hips are rotated before shoulders, do they need to be rotated FAST or? I tought maybe pitcher dosent need to rotate them fast, they just need to rotate before shoulders so they stretch the muscles of the torso which then powerfully pulls the shoulders around?
    Is it relevant at what speed hips are being rotated?

3. What do you think about Daisuke Matsuzaka glove side leg action? It looks very complicated to me :slight_smile: . What would be easy but effective glove side leg action (example)?

4. And finally, do pitchers push off rubber, or they use it to roll the balls of their feet against it when they rotate their hips, or something else?

Sorry for stupid questions, but I am a biginner, and I have made a HUGE improvement from just reading posts on this forum (and practice ofcourse)…and my English grammar is bad too.

[quote=“Nikae09”]I was looking at photos from Chris site
http://www.chrisoleary.com/projects/Baseball/Pitching/RethinkingPitching/Examples/HipsRotatingBeforeShoulders.html

1. I find something weird. If you see very first picture (and some others), you will see that that guys glove arm (elbow and glove) is behind the back towards 1st base, but he didnt start rotating his shoulders yet, did he? Is he waiting to start rotation as late as possible?[/quote]
    You’re correct - the pitcher in the first picture does not appear to have started his shoulder rotation. I believe the throwing arm is behind the head because the pitcher has preloaded his scap and his flexibility allows/requires that much abduction. In my opinion, you want to delay shoulder rotation long enough to achieve maximum hip and shoulder separation. In other words, you want to give the hips time to fully rotate before the shoulders rotate.

[quote]2. When hips are rotated before shoulders, do they need to be rotated FAST or? I tought maybe pitcher dosent need to rotate them fast, they just need to rotate before shoulders so they stretch the muscles of the torso which then powerfully pulls the shoulders around?
Is it relevant at what speed hips are being rotated?[/quote]
Again, my opinion is that the speed of hip rotation IS important and faster is better than slower.

I am not familiar with him so I can’t comment.

I believe there is a push off at the beginning of the delivery. This early push is what initiates momentum. But I don’t believe there is a big push later in the delivery.

These are not stupid questions - they’re good questions. And don’t your grammar isn’t that bad either.

Great. Thanks Roger!