Hips in pitching

I’m confused as to the use of the hips. Is it more of a falling forward with the hips once your leg is at the top of the leg lift, or is it like a “bump” of the hip forward while the upper body stays back over the foot and knee? Then once you start to move towards the plate do you bend your knee or do you leave it relatively straight and just “fall” with the knee towards the plate?

Well there are different camps on this, Tall and Fall, Drop and Drive those are the top styles. I think that either way they both want the hips to drive forward to the footstrike. Tall and Fall uses a more stright post foot and a balanced position prior to shifting the hips forward. The Drop and Drive style bends the post knee slightly before using the knee bend to drive the hips forward. No matter your style I think the hersheiser drill is a good way to work from the post to the foot strike.

And therein lies “The Secret”.
I learned it a long time ago, when I was getting into serious pitching. I used to go to the original Yankee Stadium every chance I got, and I watched the Yankees’ legendary Big Three rotation, and I saw what they were doing and how they were doing it. Those guys were all driving off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous (and, it seemed, seamless) motion, and I realized that this use of the lower half was the real key to a pitcher’s power. Not only were they generating more power behind their pitches, they were also taking a lot of pressure off the arm and the shoulder so they could throw harder and faster with less effort. So I made a note of it and started working on this on my own.
As I practiced this essential element of good mechanics—and the Hershiser drill is a vital part of it—I found myself doing the same thing those pitchers were. I wasn’t much on speed, but I could throw harder with less effort, and not a sore arm or a sore elbow or a sore shoulder or a sore anything else in the bunch! Later on my wise and wonderful pitching coach—a key member of this rotation—helped me refine that move. 8)

zitas right, ive started to use the more old fashioned flowing lower body and it feels great.