Hip Load into Rotation

How are most of you guys teaching hip load/rotation in relation to the front leg/foot? The way I see it, there are two basic extremes: one is keeping the lead foot directly in line with the target from leg lift all the way into foot plant, showing the bottom of the cleat, and keeping tension on the hips by turning the knees inward, as shown by Tanaka…

and Chapman…

The other is, after leg lift, to straighten or even kick the leg out, and then swing the leg around into landing, like Koufax…

Obviously, Lincecum would be an extreme example as well.

In this second case, it doesn’t feel as though the hips are under nearly the kind of tension as in the first case. However, to me, it feels like the flow and effortlessness of the Koufax way is extremely comfortable, creates a longer leading of the hips down the mound, and perhaps more momentum is created as well?

I have heard several gurus/instructors say that “swinging” the leg creates a slowing action, but I’m not so sure that is really the case, especially if it is not just a pure rotational swing from the top of the rubber, but more of a smooth gliding action with the leg kick and then landing. I realize there are also many pitchers who fall in between these two extremes, so obviously there is no one right way. We have been experimenting with both ways…

Thoughts/feedback?

Go to the post College Freshman Coachxj just made a great post about this