Hip internal rotation?

I’ve had injured hips for a while now, started PT and was cut after a month. Since, I’ve been working on my own and had seen impressive progress. I’ve found that I can squat extremely deep without pain when my legs are close to each other, although when I spread them out I can’t even reach parallel - where the hips go into flexion. Is this an internal rotation issue? Or is this another issue?

Sorry to hear about your hip problems. Only a doctor will be able to diagnose your situation. The lateral lunge movement is really important in pitching in the transfer of power from the legs through the core/mid-section. I’d visit with the doctor again to see if it’s a mobility issue.

Agreed, you need a diagnosis from a doctor…but I have dealt with some pitchers with similar issues that stemmed from bad mechanical teachings at a time when the body wasn’t ready to hold the load. Trying to get ‘extension’ or throw the ball closer to the plate…‘out front’…puts enormous amounts of stress on your hips, gluten, hamstrings…just because they were taught to throw in the lunge position. Its not natural and put stress on joints and places that aren’t capable of withstanding a constant pounding. Striding too far…trying to get out there…all that stuff puts your body in a position that will damage it.

I have a question Steven Ellis if you can message me back

Update –
While I am not sure of that particular example, I did lack internal rotation and good flexion.

For those who may be experiencing a similar problem, I reccomend looking at your posture. I had anterior pelvic tilt, where my pelvis was tilted forward makin an arch in my back. I advise you check your own.

In order to fix this, I did 4 things

1. Strengthen and reactivate the glutes - if you’re glutes can not fire immediately, they don’t function properly.
  2. Strengthen the hamstrings - manny erroneously stretch them. Tightness is the result of them being stretched and being inable to pull the pelvis down.
  3. Strengthen the core - anterior tilt is generally set off by a weak core. Train this and make an emphasis on the obliques.
  4. Stretch the hip flexors - they’re the guys who are pulling the pelvis Down. Loosen them up!