High School Tryout

My kid needs some advice and it seems mixed for the people he has talked to. My son is a Freshman “14” and this year Freshman baseball was eliminated in his school district so he will be competing with the Sophmores and up for a spot on one of the 3 teams, Varsity, JV and a C-Team.

He has started at 3rd at AAA and 1st. When the team didn’t have a catcher he was the guy (solid with good pop time to 2nd) and if they needed 1-2 innings in the middle of a game he throws loads of strikes and good junk (change, splitter and knuckle curve). By the way he also plays the corners in the outfield, stick is average and that is all he is working on this winter besides strength and conditioning…what is going to give him the best opportunity to make a team. 1) He is an ultra-versatile player that can start at any spot or 2) He should pick 1 or 2 positions that is what he wants?

I would continue to harness and play to his strengths, and not worry about where “weak links” exist on the team. If pitching or catching are his strongest positions, he should continue to peruse them, regardless of how many guys are in front of him.

In terms of what raw skills to focus on this off-season: speed, hitting for contact, and throwing arm strength are that 3 things that will separate him from the rest of the players during any tryout.

In your particular case, I’d really focus your time on hitting and throwing even more than “strength training” in the weight room … because he’s going to be evaluated on the field, against other players on the field – he’s not going to be evaluated in the weightroom.

Just my opinion, of course :slight_smile:

Thanks Steven, the weight room, speed and conditioning are “recomended” not mandatory but “rewarded” throught the team starting in late November so he is totally planning on doing those (2 days weights, 1 day speed and conditioning). On his own he is working off the tee and in the cage twice a week, in addition 1x per week long toss indoors at max of 75 yards (thats the longest he can get).

Anything else he should work on this off season?

Yeah, I think that’s terrific! I’m rooting for your son! Will be interesting to see if Coach Baker has any suggestions …

I agree with Steven at his young age he would be better off to focus on his baseball skills like throwing and hitting rather than weight training, though he should do that too.