High School to College question?

Right now im a senior in high school at a medium sized school, and I have committed to North Carolina Wesleyan College to pitch for them. Right now i throw about 83-86 for a good 5 innings. I am 5’11 and 150 LBS. and was wondering if college will help me gain more MPH on my fastball??? i have a very good curve and a tricky change-up. Location is not a problem but I want so badly to throw harder. It feels like ive done everything i could to this point to throw harder but would like to know if high school pitchers typically throw harder when they reach the college level? any advice would help. thanks!!

Being “committed” must indicate someone along the line must have been pretty interested in you, and you in them, to arrange such a deal.

Well, from my experience dealing with coaches and their programs that make such deals, you’re in for some serious interaction with a selective coaching staff and their work.

I have no first hand knowledge of this institution that your about to attend, nor do I have the insight in their program. But, I do know the adjustments that your going to be making to get to THEIR level of competition and the sober mind set that it’s going to take to keep you there.

If greater competency in the craft that you’re perfection is in you, these coaches and their support staff will bring it out in you. You just pay attention to your grades on your end of the bargain, and these men and women from the baseball office will do their part.

My sincere best wishes for a very enjoyable and memorable college experience.

Coach B.

Oh, I almost forgot - when you make it to the college world series, don’t forget to have someone in the bleachers hold up a sign that says’’

[size=24]HI, LET’S TALK PITCHING!![/size]

And congratulations~~

Coach B.

Here’s something that will stand you in good stead over the years.
When I was a kid I would go to Yankee Stadium every chance I got—I lived one mile from the ballpark and I used to walk to it; twenty NYC blocks is not a great distance. I would watch the pitchers in particular, and I noticed that the Yankees’ Big Three (Reynolds, Raschi and Lopat) were all doing the same thing: they were driving off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous motion, and that was how they were generating the power behind their pitches, not to mention taking a load off the arm and the shoulder. I watched them closely, and I saw just what they were doing, and I made a mental note of it and started working on it on my own. As I practiced this vital aspect of good mechanics I found that I was throwing harder—and faster—than I had been doing before (and I was not what one would call fast), with less effort. And not a sore arm or a sore shoulder or a sore anything else, because it seemed that arm and shoulder were just going along for the ride.
I even ended up with an 81MPH four-seamer which my pitching coach told me was, for a finesse pitcher like me, a fast ball! (I was a snake-jazzer.) :slight_smile: 8) :baseballpitcher: