High school throwing program

What would you ask pitchers to do and what would their daily schedule be if you were the pitching coach of your local high school?

I would bull pen 40-50 pitches every two days. So Mon and Thur. Bullpen would be done even during games. 2-4 days rest if you pitched in a game. Bullpens into a net and sometimes to a catcher. Bullpen at 90% of velocity absolutely no fooling around and over throwing due to risk of injury since many HS pitchers have poor mechanics and only use their arms. This opinion come from a LL dad with a pitcher in HS now and has no real coaching experience :roll:

There are a lot of things that are not addressed properly (in my opinion) in high school with pitchers…in most cases.
I would make sure they knew how to properly warm up. Playing catch for 10 minutes then throwing off a mound for 10 pitches is not a proper warm up.
As the previous poster stated having a point or a goal for each pen is important. I can’t tell you how many times I have seen kids messing with grips (always trying to throw knuckleballs) and generally messing around in pens.
I would make sure they understood a good arm care program relates to both warm up and post throwing. Running poles and or ice do next to nothing for you.
Personally I would have my pitchers lift the evening after they pitched.
Good luck trying to get a HS coach to do that one.

[quote=“fearsomefour”]There are a lot of things that are not addressed properly (in my opinion) in high school with pitchers…in most cases.
I would make sure they knew how to properly warm up. Playing catch for 10 minutes then throwing off a mound for 10 pitches is not a proper warm up.
As the previous poster stated having a point or a goal for each pen is important. I can’t tell you how many times I have seen kids messing with grips (always trying to throw knuckleballs) and generally messing around in pens.
I would make sure they understood a good arm care program relates to both warm up and post throwing. Running poles and or ice do next to nothing for you.
Personally I would have my pitchers lift the evening after they pitched.
Good luck trying to get a HS coach to do that one.[/quote]
As a highschool freshman, what does a proper warm up and post-throwing program entail? What are some specifics I could go off of?

To me (and Im not an expert by any stretch) it should include a full body warm up as well as shoulder specific stuff and of course throwing.
A good dynamic warm up lasting about 10 minutes. Full body movements.
A few sprints. Arm circles, a band routine (my son uses the Jaeger band routine), abridged longtoss, then to the pen.
It can vary person to person but when I see coaches giving kids 10 minutes of time to do static stretches then throw a few in the bullpen before coming in it drives me nuts.