High School stats question

Hey, gang…

Regarding a high school pitcher…

1. What’s a good first strike %?
  2. What’s a good strike / ball %?

Are there other stats that should be studied for improvement?

Go to this site;

http://asmiforum.proboards.com/index.cgi?

Ask this guy;

He’s really looked into stuff like that.

You’re killing me, JD!!! I just took a peek at that website and quickly realized that I’m going to be spending even more time on-line!!!

Thanks, as always.

Tell your significant other that I sincerely apologize. My wife has started an “I despise the internet Club”. :wink: She has a voodoo doll of Al Gore :shock: I wonder :bigthink: if he’s “felt” any discomfort of late??? :nosleep: :noidea: :crazy:

Well JD, it took a while, but I eventually found this place, thanx to you. I hope that doesn’t get you booted off! :buhbye:

As I’m sure you guessed, the second I say the thread title, my mouse finger started twitchin.

[quote=“gettingthere”]Hey, gang…

Regarding a high school pitcher…

1. What’s a good first strike %?
  2. What’s a good strike / ball %?

Are there other stats that should be studied for improvement?[/quote]

A funny thing about stats is, below the pro level, they aren’t very religiously kept, and it makes any question about them difficult at best to answer. Now me, I happen to be something of a freak of nature. Not only do I keep stats, I keep a lot of them, and I’ve been keeping HS numbers for about 10 years.

I’m sure that over time you’ll get sick and tired of seeing my numbers, but I’m offering them to you, the same way I offer them to others. I won’t try to tell you what’s good or bad, but I will show you what numbers I have, and you can make your own conclusions. Howz that?

I’m in the process of combining all the players I have together, but until then I can off you what I have in little pieces.

If you go to http://www.infosports.com/scorekeeper/images/cpitching.pdf the 1st thing you’ll see are the combined stats for the HS team I score for, over the 4 years of its HSV history. On it you’ll see among other things, 1st pitch and overall strike percentage. You should be able to look at the pitcher’s old reliable stats and be able to tell who the “best” pitchers are, and if you go to page 4, you’ll be able to see how we compare to all of the other teams we’ve played in the 121 games the stats cover.

If you’re only interested in the 1st pitch strike percentages, you can go to pages 11 and 12, and get a better sense.

If I was forced at gunpoint to throw a number out there for 1st pitch strikes, it would prolly be 55%. That would be the lower limit of what I’d call “good”. Anything over 60% I’d say is fantastic, especially if it was done over a season or a few seasons.

Strike percentage is something different. Pages 95&96 give a pretty good representation of pure strike percentages. If pushed for a lower limit of “good”, I’d have to say at least 63%. Anything below that down to about 58% is tolerable but flirting with all kinds of bad possibilities. :wink:

scorekeeper
Without going through reams of posted info from other sites, I have a few questions.

What makes up the “strike” in the strike % recorded for performance evaluations? Is is just the offical recorded strike, or are other things in the mix?

And, how is this recorded strike % used as feedback to help evaluate a pitcher’s performance and why?

Coach B.

[quote=“Coach Baker”]scorekeeper
Without going through reams of posted info from other sites, I have a few questions. [/quote]

S’ok, I understand the reluctance to do that. Looking at someone else’s numbers of players you have absolutely no link to is often difficult.

A strike is just that. Think of it this way. If the count on the umpire’s counter were 0-0 before the pitch, and it were 0-1 after the pitch, it would be a strike. Also, balls hit into fair territory are always considered strikes for the purposes of this calculation.

Of course any pitch the umpire doesn’t call a strike and the batter doesn’t attempt to hit, is a ball, but so are pitches that hit batters, mainly because they can’t be strikes. :wink:

Here’s how I count pitches after every inning. I count all strikes, including foul balls the weren’t caught. Then I count every ball in play that terminated an at bat. Finally, I count all pitches that were designated balls, and add to that the total of hit batters.

That way I can get a BIP strike percentage, and a strike percentage.

Now there you have to ask someone else. I know how I use it to evaluate a pitcher’s performance, but I don’t coach so I can’t tell you how coaches use it.