High School Senior Mechanics

Stats so far this season:
16.1 IP, 2 ER, 2 BB, 18 K
6’3" 190 lbs.

I have good control of three pitches. 12-6 Curve is best pitch and can usually put it where I want. I don’t throw that hard (FB=80). I know I can improve getting my lower body into the pitch more.

The landing spot on this mound is different from our home field. I normally don’t rotate my left foot at the end, nor do I normally cross over towards first base so much. It messed with my follow thru at the end, but otherwise didn’t have much effect on my pitching that night.

Here is a short video from last year that shows my normal follow thru.

Thanks for any advice and comments.

Well, I’d say you could benefit from some real serious glove side management. In the first video, the slo mo section at about 1:05, you’ll see that when your front foot just lands you are severely open with your shoulders. You are flailing the glove hand and arm around and then downward, pulling the shoulders open really early. Notice where your glove is even before you land, it’s behind you. Good glove side management will help you keep your shoulders closed longer. Fixing this may just even add some mph to that fastball. On glove side management, I’ll always defer to Roger and laflippin for the best advice.

Get a little more momentum toward the plate, when you reach the top of your knee lift lead with your front hip toward the catcher.

Some call it leading with the loaded hip and dynamic balance. That will help you really get some force toward the plate. It feels weird at first and uncomfortable because you really have to fight to stay in balance but when you lead with the hip and start getting your stride leg out, bend your back leg a little it will help with balance.

The momentum mixed in with the rotational force will give you all the power you need. You brace your stride leg to take advantage of all of it and your glove doesn’t need to be pulled, it needs to be used as a balancing tool over your stride knee/thigh. During rotation and at the conclusion your glove side upper arm should be close to your body, by your ribs.

I learned a long time ago that you have to get your whole body into the action, not just throw with the arm and the shoulder. I learned this from watching the Yankees’ Big Three pitchers—Allie Reynolds, Vic Raschi and Ed Lopat—and I saw that they were all doing the same thing, driving off the lower half of the body and using the legs, the hips and the torso so as to generate power behind their pitches. I made a note of this and started working on it on my own, and as I practiced this essential element of good mechanics I found that not only was I getting more power behind my pitches (granted, I was not particularly fast), I also was throwing harder with less effort—it seemed that my arm and shoulder were just going along for the ride. It took a lot of pressure off said arm and shoulder, and as a result—no sore arm or sore shoulder or sore anything else! I was a sidearmer who used the crossfire a lot, and I noticed that I was getting more velocity into that delivery, not to mention a sharper break on several of my pitches. so you see, if you get your whole body involved, it’ll pay off. :slight_smile: 8)