High School Rule for Barraging Catcher

So assuming there is a play at home and you’re the runner going towards home, can you throw a shoulder into him assuming he has the ball? As in cracking him in hopes of knocking the ball loose.

Depending on the level that your play at, age group and so on – most organizations have certain rules govering contact and other things. Basically, these rules are designed to protect the youngsters involved and to avoid FURTHER complications.*

Most rules dicated that the catcher can not be blocking the runner’s path to the plate while waiting for the throw. The catcher must be totally out of the way – no foot or leg hanging over into the runner’s path.

Now, some leagues see the runners path a little different than others, so check on that. For example, the runner’s path from third base may be determined (at your level of play) as being on the foul side of the third base line AND extending to the plate. So if the catcher extends himself into that area out infront of home plate, then he’s blocking the runner’s path and contact by the runner is unavoidable. I’ve seen umpires notice this right away and call a penalty on the catcher right away to avoid the two players coming in contact with one another and getting hurt.

• As far as putting a shoulder into the catcher … I wouldn’t advise that. If your playing any kind of competitive ball… the very first guy from you club that steps into the box… well, he better be pretty quick in the ducking department!

Coach B.

So if the situation arised what would I do? Just run into him?

You really need to find out what your rules are. If they state you must try to avoid contact, then that’s what you gotta do or you’ll be out (best case - worst case is you’re ejected and maybe suspended for additional games).

Otherwise, slide hard through the bag and hope for the best. Remember he’s wearing the protective gear - you’re not.

in my league you can run the catcher over as long as you weren’t vicious about it. You can knocked him over but you can’t lay a football hit on him.

ROGER said,…

(best case - worst case is you’re ejected and maybe suspended for additional games).

EXACTLY!

A club I was at had a very talented fielder - he had range, glove skills, and game savy. He came to us with impressive “All State” creditentials.
During a run home, he slam’d the catcher so bad he gave the guy a dislocated shoulder and three cracked ribs. As the catcher was on the ground, the umpire noticed blood from his nose and mouth. Off the field he went and to the emergency room. Our guy was boo’d off the field. When he came to bat later in the game, he was boo’d again and stuff came onto the field repeatedly. Our club was ordered by the police to stay put after the game, they would clear the area so our bus could leave without trouble.

16mm film showed our man had his head down and both arms crossed at the shoulders - linebacker style, before impact.

A few months later, our manage got a letter from the catcher saying the hit was clean and that he didn’t hold any ill will. Truth was, this catcher ended up going through painfull rehab after the season and was done playing ball. I must tell you that we all felt pretty bad. In addition, our guy got a pretty bad reputation out of the deal, something he wasn’t to eager to claim later on.

This game of our can be pretty rough at times, there’s not doubt about it. But there comes a time when reasonability should prevail. And where a catcher is conserned - they are open to injury when trying to field an incoming throw - with their head turned away from you. Their attention span is not preparing the player for bracing for an impact. So, be reasonable. If you’ve ever played the posiiton and been bulled over you’ll know what I mean. It’s dangerous work at the plate.

Do exactly what ROGER said and you’ll never have to second guess yourself about hurting another guy badly. Trust me, it’s not something that you want to be saddled with in the future.

Coach B.

once my school’s star pitcher was trying to score so he jumped over the catcher and by accident kicked him in the throat (no throat guard) the catcher collapsed and the ambulance came but the umpire didn’t eject our guy because and I quote “The catcher broke the rules so really its his vault he’s in this position” OUCH THATS HARSH

Florida High School rules are that you drop the shoulder or make aggressive move and you are ejected. Incidental contact won’t be called but if you purposely try to run over any fielder and you and possibly your coach is getting an early night.

Florida High School rules are that you drop the shoulder or make aggressive move and you are ejected. Incidental contact won’t be called but if you purposely try to run over any fielder and you and possibly your coach is getting an early night.

I stand corrected. Worst case is someone gets hurt and their career is ended. Great perspective in that story, Coach B!

i guess it kindof depends on the umpire. during one game i popped a ball out and the umpire called me out, i started arguing and he ejected me. in another game the same thing happened and i was safe