High school pitcher, sophmore. any suggestions welcome

Keep in mind it was about 10 degrees when i pitched that day. I know my toe should be pointed down and i should have my glove side elbow down more. My arm was also too low and i’m not sure but it looked like i wasn’t getting fully extended when i threw it.

tweeners!!! no but looks good to me

Jimster,

Here are my suggestions:

1. You start tall and drop down very far and fast very early in your delivery. That is a lot of unnecessary north-south head movement. You may have better results if you start your delivery from an athletic position, with some “free-throw” bend in your knees, such that your posture is closer from the beginning to what you’re going to look like during your delivery.

2. Your glove-side looks very soft, almost as though you don’t think it has any role in your pitching delivery and maybe you just want to get it out of your way as soon as possible. Most elite pitchers actually swivel the glove into place and briefly stabilize it out in front of the torso, about over their stride foot, and they forcefully bring their torso forward to the glove as they proceed into the release point. There is a great deal of discussion of this topic at LTP, and Roger in particular might be able to help you more with it.

3. “toe should be pointed down”, “glove-side elbow down more”, “arm was too low”…who has been telling you those things?

i see the same thing la does. you sit too far down on your back leg too early. when you do that it is hard to brace up against the rubber and get leverage from your back leg. start with that. there is no velocity when the ball comes out of your hand. we have to find a wat to get some hand speed. what you’re doing right now will not work. i don’t see any velocity right now. start with that change and we’ll go from there. we’ll figure something out.

I’ll “second” the collapsing back leg issue. Significant up/down movement takes away from forward movement and makes you late to start forward. Plus, it just movement in a direction other than towards the target and we don’t want that kind of movement in our delivery.

Start with some bend in the knees and waist so you’re already lower before starting your delivery.

You also fly open with your glove and that is causing early shoulder rotation. Once you extend the glove out front after hand break, keep it there at least until ball release. Stabilizing the glove in front of you in this manner will eliminate those balls in your video that sailed up and in, it will give you better movement on your breaking pitch, it will make your release point more consistent, and it will take some load off the throwing arm.

[quote=“laflippin”]Jimster,

Here are my suggestions:

1. You start tall and drop down very far and fast very early in your delivery. That is a lot of unnecessary north-south head movement. You may have better results if you start your delivery from an athletic position, with some “free-throw” bend in your knees, such that your posture is closer from the beginning to what you’re going to look like during your delivery.

2. Your glove-side looks very soft, almost as though you don’t think it has any role in your pitching delivery and maybe you just want to get it out of your way as soon as possible. Most elite pitchers actually swivel the glove into place and briefly stabilize it out in front of the torso, about over their stride foot, and they forcefully bring their torso forward to the glove as they proceed into the release point. There is a great deal of discussion of this topic at LTP, and Roger in particular might be able to help you more with it.

3. “toe should be pointed down”, “glove-side elbow down more”, “arm was too low”…who has been telling you those things?[/quote]

My ohio orioles coach told me those things. He told me to keep my glove-side elbow down more because it was blocking my view to the catcher. It looked to me i was almost throwing side arm and i’ve noticed a speed difference because having my arm up helped me go straight to the catcher. And he told me to keep my toe down so when i stride my heel isn’t the first to touch the group and by having my toe touch first my head wouldn’t bob as much.

thanks for all the advice. I’ll try to sift through all this good info. I’ll try to get another video on here to see if i fixed the things that were talked about.

[quote=“Roger”]I’ll “second” the collapsing back leg issue. Significant up/down movement takes away from forward movement and makes you late to start forward. Plus, it just movement in a direction other than towards the target and we don’t want that kind of movement in our delivery.

Start with some bend in the knees and waist so you’re already lower before starting your delivery.

You also fly open with your glove and that is causing early shoulder rotation. Once you extend the glove out front after hand break, keep it there at least until ball release. Stabilizing the glove in front of you in this manner will eliminate those balls in your video that sailed up and in, it will give you better movement on your breaking pitch, it will make your release point more consistent, and it will take some load off the throwing arm.[/quote]

i’ve noticed that i fly open early and i attribute it to my lower slot and not reliezing that i should keep myself going to the catcher. I fixed opening up by pushing myself to the catcher and having my glove- arm down more. And having my arm down more for some reason gives my more velocity and helps me spot my fastball.