High School Coach looking for help

Hey guys, if this is posted in the wrong place just let me know. Anyway, I coach at Lafayette HS in Brooklyn NY and I need some help. Lafayette has a very storied program having graduated such players at Sandy Koufax, John Franco, and Fred Wilpon, but as of recent years there was no program. When they reinstated the baseball team, it started off as a bad B league team, eventually got to be a good B league team, and is now a bad A league team. This was my first year on board, and my opinion is that the main problem is that 90% of these guys do not play summer baseball. They majorly lack in-game experience.

Basically, if anyone is in the NYC area and coaches or knows of summer teams ages 15-18 that are looking for players, please email me at sb3388@mail.com . I really want these guys to succeed, but its tough to get better without playing.

Thanks everyone

I don’t understand what your “A” and “B” means. Which is the higher level/bigger school or whatever.

If “A” is higher/better than “B”, it looks to me like the program is on the right track. Its pretty difficult to go from startup to being a competitive team in less than a few years without some “horses”.

Is your school one that uses pitch counts and wood bats?

I have to ask how do you KNOW, not GUESS, that all the other schools you play have a higher percentage playing summer ball? What is the average percentage of summer players on the teams you play?

I see on MaxPreps that you don’t report all your scores, nor do you post stats. Is there someplace to get a look at your numbers?

I see you have a 6’4”/230# Sr pitcher and a 6’1”/290# So. Goodness! Those are some mighty big boys! :wink:

I’ll try to clear all of that up.

A is better than B, and B is better than Developmental. I don’t know if I mentioned developmental, but thats where we were before B.

We are definitely on the right track, but the track is moving pretty slowly right now.

I know that all of the better team’s players play competitive summer ball because I am very involved in sandlot baseball in Brooklyn. I coached at 17-18 team last summer and had guys from all over the city and played guys from all over the city. I’ve coached at “better” high schools and know that all of their players were playing summer ball. To me it is an absolute MUST. You can’t get better without playing.

Public schools in NYC dont use maxpreps, we use PSAL.org

so again, if anyone’s got any teams or coach reccomendations… just pass them along

[quote=“qcbaseball”]I’ll try to clear all of that up.

A is better than B, and B is better than Developmental. I don’t know if I mentioned developmental, but thats where we were before B.

We are definitely on the right track, but the track is moving pretty slowly right now.

I know that all of the better team’s players play competitive summer ball because I am very involved in sandlot baseball in Brooklyn. I coached at 17-18 team last summer and had guys from all over the city and played guys from all over the city. I’ve coached at “better” high schools and know that all of their players were playing summer ball. To me it is an absolute MUST. You can’t get better without playing.

Public schools in NYC dont use maxpreps, we use PSAL.org

so again, if anyone’s got any teams or coach reccomendations… just pass them along[/quote]

I understand the feeling. Even progress if slow, is difficult to take, especially if you know what’s possible. :wink:

“ALL” is a pretty inclusive word. “Many of” or “most of” would likely be more accurate, but I get the idea. You see a lot of the areas best 17-18YO players. But the trouble is, while it would help to have your players V players playing summer ball, I suggest that it would benefit the program a lot more and possibly faster, to encourage the incoming 8th graders, Fr and Sophs to do that.

If your school is listed as Lafayette Educational Complex in the Brooklyn A West league, I can see why you feel inadequate from a team perspective. It certainly looks as though they’re thrown you in with the big boys, if statistics have any meaning at all. I see where you were doing quite well in 2009, coming in 2nd in the “B” South. And its certainly understandable that going from being super competitive in a league and winning 11 league games in 2009, to only winning 7 league games in 2 years is making you look for ways to increase the speed of improvement.

But really, I don’t know that the answer is having the current boys play summer ball. I have no doubts that it would help them, but you’ve got to keep in mind that while they’re getting better, so are all the other boys who are doing it. Now you’re kids may have a lot more to learn and so might benefit from it more, but they’ll never catch up by simply playing more.

Somehow you’ve got to find a way to get them more individual instruction than the other players. That way the boys can advance more at their own speed, and the good ones will really reap huge benefits. Also, I still maintain that the pool you’re drawing players from has to give you better players, so I’d work hard to make that happen so there’s less “catch up” to be played.

I don’t know if you’ve considered this, but if not its worth thinking about. Contact those ex-players and see if they’ll come and talk to the current players. I don’t know about the others, but I’ve talked with Sandy Koufax, and he can be very inspirational! Our HS coach was Dustin Pedroia’s HS coach, and he’s talked to the boys on more than 1 occasion. Its really quite a moral boosting thing.

In any case, I wish you the best of luck!

Hey, you never did answer about the wood bats or pitch counts. If you’re using either one or both, would you care to comment on them?

[quote=“scorekeeper”]

I understand the feeling. Even progress if slow, is difficult to take, especially if you know what’s possible. :wink:

“ALL” is a pretty inclusive word. “Many of” or “most of” would likely be more accurate, but I get the idea. You see a lot of the areas best 17-18YO players. But the trouble is, while it would help to have your players V players playing summer ball, I suggest that it would benefit the program a lot more and possibly faster, to encourage the incoming 8th graders, Fr and Sophs to do that.

If your school is listed as Lafayette Educational Complex in the Brooklyn A West league, I can see why you feel inadequate from a team perspective. It certainly looks as though they’re thrown you in with the big boys, if statistics have any meaning at all. I see where you were doing quite well in 2009, coming in 2nd in the “B” South. And its certainly understandable that going from being super competitive in a league and winning 11 league games in 2009, to only winning 7 league games in 2 years is making you look for ways to increase the speed of improvement.

But really, I don’t know that the answer is having the current boys play summer ball. I have no doubts that it would help them, but you’ve got to keep in mind that while they’re getting better, so are all the other boys who are doing it. Now you’re kids may have a lot more to learn and so might benefit from it more, but they’ll never catch up by simply playing more.

Somehow you’ve got to find a way to get them more individual instruction than the other players. That way the boys can advance more at their own speed, and the good ones will really reap huge benefits. Also, I still maintain that the pool you’re drawing players from has to give you better players, so I’d work hard to make that happen so there’s less “catch up” to be played.

I don’t know if you’ve considered this, but if not its worth thinking about. Contact those ex-players and see if they’ll come and talk to the current players. I don’t know about the others, but I’ve talked with Sandy Koufax, and he can be very inspirational! Our HS coach was Dustin Pedroia’s HS coach, and he’s talked to the boys on more than 1 occasion. Its really quite a moral boosting thing.

In any case, I wish you the best of luck!

Hey, you never did answer about the wood bats or pitch counts. If you’re using either one or both, would you care to comment on them?[/quote]

hm. another misunderstanding. I didn’t mean that every player on every A team is playing summer ball, but EVERY LEGITIMATE A TEAM, has the majority of their players playing summer ball. My “every” was in reference to the teams not the players themselves.

Yes we use wood bats and have a pitch count system that can probably be found on PSAL.org, but the jist of it is that if you throw a certain amount of pitches you cant pitch for a certain amount of days, and 105 pitches is the absolute cap which puts you out for 4 days.

I dont think that if my guys play summer ball, we win the city championship lol, it is just one of the many things that need to happen if this program is to go in the right direction.

Alumni have been contacted to no avail.

I do agree that individual attention will move the boys along, and they all have my number and were told to call me throughout the summer.

As far as getting the better players from the area, the school itself is not that great. Its actually called Lafayette Educational Complex because there are 5 schools within the building, each with different principals and educational goals. The majority of the schools have major disciplinary problems and low educational achievement levels, BUT there is one school that is extremely successful which is a 6-12 school called Kingsboro Early College Secondary School in which the students earn a free associates degree by the time they graduate HS. Our only good school.

I’m not looking for a quick fix, just the steps that are necessary for the fix.