High School Baseball practices..?

If a good swing is present already, trade the tee time for live arm time. A good swing does not mean a good hitter. Tee work is about swinging, not hitting. Hitting a moving ball thrown from a live arm helps hitting.
If a swing or stroke needs to be developed, bring on the tee. To use that shiny new swing in a game, it must be honed against a live arm.

[quote]If a good swing is present already, trade the tee time for live arm time. A good swing does not mean a good hitter. Tee work is about swinging, not hitting. Hitting a moving ball thrown from a live arm helps hitting.
If a swing or stroke needs to be developed, bring on the tee. To use that shiny new swing in a game, it must be honed against a live arm.[/quote]

Hitting live BP is a must for game preparation. However, don’t discount the need for tee work and soft toss.

Tee work is necessary for checking the mechanics of the swing, even developed swings. Soft toss allows the transition from the tee to hitting a moving ball, while still checking the mechanics. Live BP is putting it all together and putting into practice the checks made from the tee and soft toss.

Finding time for tee work and soft toss in the cage can positively effect the outcome of live hitting.

I can see merit of tee work, even though there is no game correlation, however, soft toss is, in my opinion, really a waste of time. The head is turned the wrong way, it often teaches wrong step, the ball is coming from the wrong direction, it’s coming underhand, it’s not following any game-related pitch plane. Better to have forward BP from a forward overhand flip with a pitcher behind a screen at a reduced distance if it’s desired to review mechanics.

The value of soft toss, or if you prefer doing front toss, is speeding up the hands, seeing the ball, hand/eye coordination.

It’s a tool. Some like certain tools some don’t. Opinions vary.

That being said, I repeat, nothing beats live BP. Even in those kids developing a swing.