High School 2010

Earlier this year I posted a couple videos of me pitching before my High School season started. I got some useful info and now I have a few pictures from during my high school season to add. I’m just posting again to try and get a few more responses for what people think about my mechanics and things I should work on.

Another Angle:

I noticed that your momentum seem to take you to the 1st base side every pitch, I would think that you are leaving a bit of every pitch behind, I would try and get a little more stride and a balanced defensive position (like a football line backer) at the end of every pitch.

I totally agree. I’m not sure I do that too much anymore. I think a major reason I was doing that in the video was that the mound was essentially flat and in very poor condition; so instead of driving all the way through to the plate, my landing foot caught a little early, making me land closed, causing me to fall off to the first base side.

I went back and reviewed some of the April thread “Senior Year” and you got alot of good feedback from Lanklefty, JD and others. It would take a better pitching coach than me to be critical of your mechanics the way they appear in the pictures. I do have a couple questions if you don’t mind:

1. Why do you pitch from the extreme left side of the pitcher’s rubber? I’m sure there’s a theory here?
  2. What did you decide regarding colleges?
  3. Was that slide step effective for you this year? It seems like you don’t get alot of lower body loading when you use it?

I’m with Dino…one more question…it may be the angle of the photo but it appears that you are not on top of the baseball (it appears to be pointing to 3rd base). You do look pretty strong here. What’s your velocity?

[quote=“Dino”]I went back and reviewed some of the April thread “Senior Year” and you got alot of good feedback from Lanklefty, JD and others. It would take a better pitching coach than me to be critical of your mechanics the way they appear in the pictures. I do have a couple questions if you don’t mind:

1. Why do you pitch from the extreme left side of the pitcher’s rubber? I’m sure there’s a theory here?
  2. What did you decide regarding colleges?
  3. Was that slide step effective for you this year? It seems like you don’t get alot of lower body loading when you use it?[/quote]

Lankylefty, JD, and the other contributors have given me some great info. Not just in that post either. They have helped me out on more than one occasion and I can’t thank them enough.

To answer your questions:

1. In the video the mound was in such a poor condition that I chose to do that just for the sake of saving my ankles. However, I do pitch from the left side (just not as far to the left as in the video) in actual games. It’s more of a comfort thing. It stems from a coach when I was 12 years old in my first year of baseball trying to help me find the middle of the plate to throw strikes. I used to come wayyyy inside a lot back then.

2. As far as colleges, I made the decision to attend Salem State University and play baseball there. It is Division 3. A number of division 2 teams were interested in me for baseball, but I chose Salem for a number of reasons: It was cheaper than many other schools, it’s relatively close to home (which I think is good for the first year just to get acquainted with what college really is about), I think that division 3 will give me some valuable experience to develop a little more before I throw myself into a more competitive league.

3. The slide step was actually very affective this year for me. I have a relatively poor pick off move to first base, so as long as I can keep them close, my slide step is quick and runners generally don’t attempt to steal. I only use the slide step with runners on first base though. From the time the video was made, until about the end of the high school season, I did a lot of work with the slide step to make it more effective and comfortable.

That is true. In the last two photos I’m throwing two variations of my curveball and I clearly am cheating a bit.

I haven’t been gunned since January but I was sitting low 80’s. Not sure what I get to if I really reach back though.

I like what your doing…falling off the left is from rotation unless your pitches are going everywere stay with it. I do see good things get stronger get in the weight room…

alright dude just from lookin at the videos and pictures i can tell that you lead with your hip and throw a little up hill. theres nothing wrong with this as long you can buy yourself enough time to get over your front foot. but alot of times when people do this there fastball tends to be flat and they ushally get hit pretty hard. also i noticed that your landing on your heal and not the ball of your foot when you stride. when you do this your leg locks out on impact and causes your whole body to stiffin up witch ultimately takes away velocity. i would try not to lead with your hip as much and focus on landing on the ball of your foot. best of luck to you

It’s tuff to tell in still pics but I don’t see the front locking out, in the video the mound is pretty flat and the lock out is well after the ball is gone. In the stills he looks good. The difference in heel strike and the ball of the foot is thedrop in velocity really that much of an issue to sacrifice the hips and lower half to unload some of the stresses on the arm a good discussion. That’s why this is such a great place.

IDK there king…he’s sitting into it, if his hips continue to open as they did pic to pic it’ll basically hit flat… the last photo looks to be just after footstrike, he’s lined up and not locked out…by the by Maddux landed heel first…he didn’t lock it up… :wink:

but if you watch the video you notice that when he lands his front leg locks up and his extention isnt as far as it could be.
i want you to stand up and go trough two windups. on the first one land on the ball of your foot. on the second one land on your heel and youll notice that when you land on the ball of your foot its alot smoother and its easier to get better extention on the follow through :wink:

Both of those vids were Pre-season. The pics are were after he made adjustments, so they are the pertainent point of discussion. Hopefully we can get some video at some point and then we can really see.

The reason for his falling off to the left is due to his swinging his leg into landing instead of just driving it sideways directly to the plate. Then, when he lands, his front foot turns too much and is facing the left handed batter’s box.

It appears as though he is landing with a flat foot or perhaps slightly heel first - this is actually better than toe first because when the toes land first, it usually means the pitcher has shortened his stride and is landing “soft” – in which the knee “drifts” over the foot. This causes all of that built-up energy to dissipate instead of transferring to the arm.

For some reason in the video I don’t see the knee swinging, I do see the knee droping and the top of the foot staying to 3rd. He has good rotation and good hip shoulder separation causing the continuation of rotation to the 1st base side. The thing about heel or ball of the foot we could go on about that forever. If you could post a video of the latest and greatest from straight from behind an from the 3rd base side.