High reps or Low reps?

I was trying to get a off season workout and i was wondering if i need to do low reps of heavy weights or light weight with many reps? and if any body has a good workout please tell me.

Depends on what your after
hight weight/low reps:muscle strength
low weight/high reps:muscle endurance

I usally do low like wiaghts but lots or reps. Like I usally do 50 pulls ups. Then do mabye 25 laps around my backyard. Then I do some pushups and sits ups till I get tired. It seems to me like that really works so you can try that you might like it.

It’s hard to answer this question without speaking in generalities. Generally, I would say that light weight/ high rep training is absolute rubbish that no athlete should do. Now, some may ask me why I feel that way. Well, there are a few reasons. Let’s take an example from exercise science. In a study of wrestlers, they found that during the completion a high number of throws (throwing the opponent) the quality of the movement decreased as time went on (Verkhoshansky, 1985). So, fatigue definitely has a bearing on the ability to maintain velocity and good mechanics throughout a long outing.

The problem here is that the strength endurance can be worked much more effectively through sports specific conditioning. If I want my wrestlers to be able to complete more throws without getting fatigued, I’ll have them work on high numbers of throws during practice. Same thing goes for my pitchers. If I want them to be able to throw for a longer duration, you practice higher rep throwing. How does curling a 5 pound weight 30 times replicate the explosive strength of throwing a baseball? It doesn’t.

And if you want to do a endurance style workout, then what pilldom described is actually not a bad idea. Figure out some type of circuit and work yourself to fatigue in each aspect (Pullups, pushups, squats, lunges, etc.) then switch exercises and so on. So, you will fatigue the muscle, give it a short time to recover, then fatigue it again. If you do chose to do this sort of workout, I would limit it to once every two weeks or so.

well Kc wat would u suggest for me too do as far as a weight lifting workout? Just to give u an idea im 14 years old 6 ft tall and… o yea my basketball coach gave me a leg workout program and it has thrust ups, burnouts, calf raises, and a couple of other things in it and i been using that for a week or so.

Have you done any lifting before?

I’d start by focusing on your form in the main strength builders: Squats, deadlifts, Dips, and pullups. Do each of those exercises 3 times a week for the next month to build yourself up. Also add in some pushups, light overhead presses, body rows, bent rows, hypers, lunges, glute ham raises, and calf raises. Take two from that list and add it to the four I mentioned above, giving you six exercises per workout. Do 4 sets per exercise and vary the number of reps each week. Start with 10 reps, 6 the next week, 8 the next, then back to 10. A higher number of reps means that you use less weight, lower reps means more. You never want to completely exhaust the muscle (not being able to physically complete the next rep) so make sure you chose the weight accordingly. If you go to complete fatigue it will take you longer to recover and it will slow your progress.

As I said, stick with that program for a month and then start to add in some of the trickier stuff like hang cleans, high pulls, clapping pushups and other explosive strength exercises.

P.S. The strength workouts shouldn’t interfere with your basketball exercises. If anything it will help you alot with your physicality in the paint (boxing out, fighting for the ball) as well as your speed and quickness. Keep us updated on how everything is going, and if you have any questions, ask away.

i have a question about something like this. Is it important to change reps and sets after a month or so. something about your muscles adapt or something?

Yep. Muscles will adapt to the stimulus and gains will slow.

ohk thanks. so what should i do to make sure that doesnt happen.
i thought of this but i dont no.
week 1 - 2 sets 20 reps
week 2 - 3 sets 15 reps
week 3 - 4 sets 10 reps

and so on. is that good? or what should i change to?

so KC do u suggest more reps or more weight after a month and after the body get use to everything?

If you go up in reps, you’ll be adding less weight. If you go down, you should be adding more. Just remember to account for strength increases when you pick the weights to use for your set.

Boston,
There are many different styles to use with training.
5x5, 4x6, 3x8, 3x10, 4x8, etc.
I’d try to stay under 15 reps per set and use more sets to up the volume.

You should workout by incresing the weight as you progress with your strenght and conditioning regimen. No matter how heavy the weight is, always lift as many reps until muscle fatigue. Overtime your muscles will gain strenght, increase in mass and give you that “cut” look and increase in stamina

aslo, inbetween eavy sets take really light weight and just lift until muscle fatigue

[quote=“ron”]You should workout by incresing the weight as you progress with your strenght and conditioning regimen. No matter how heavy the weight is, always lift as many reps until muscle fatigue. Overtime your muscles will gain strenght, increase in mass and give you that “cut” look and increase in stamina

aslo, inbetween eavy sets take really light weight and just lift until muscle fatigue[/quote]
That entire statement is completely wrong.

Going to fatigue with each exercise taxes the CNS and results in longer recovery. Overtraining will result in strength losses, not strength gains.

Muscle definition is a mix of muscle size and low body fat. Muscle fatigue does not assist in either case.

worked for me