Hideki Irabu--how did he get his velocity?

The video showed his fastball hitting 159km, 158km and about at those ranges–which is equivalent to mid 90’s. The delivery looks unconventional and slowish–yet he generated tons of velocity. The question is–how?

[quote=“vertigo”]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuGoM09SYug&feature=related

The video showed his fastball hitting 159km, 158km and about at those ranges–which is equivalent to mid 90’s. The delivery looks unconventional and slowish–yet he generated tons of velocity. The question is–how?[/quote]

Some people just have a God given ability to throw the crap out of a baseball, you either have it or you don’t. On the other hand, if you watch carefully, from the top of his leg lift on he seems to have a fairly explosive lower half. Although, I see most of his velocity coming from his arm speed. He seems to have tremendous arm speed, again not something that can really be taught. It can be improved upon, but some people just have the genetics to throw gas…

He doesn’t have the best mechanics because it looks like he’s using just his arm, being you can cut off his legs and he would still throw in the 90’s. That’s a no-no you will never have a Hall of Fame career if you just use your arm. You’ll end up like Prior, Wood, and many others.

I don’t see a “slow” delivery at all. Check out how he finishes. He has great intent to throw the ball. He does not look “all-arm” to me.

Eephus pitch at 1:38.

[quote=“xv84”]I don’t see a “slow” delivery at all. Check out how he finishes. He has great intent to throw the ball. He does not look “all-arm” to me.

Eephus pitch at 1:38.[/quote]

His delivery is deliberate, and slow until he gets to the high set position, and then he reefs on the ball with enormous arm speed.

He finishes high, with his hand at his opposite hip. He barely bends at the waist. Looks “armish” to me.

As to the pitch at 1:38, looks like a slow curve to me. Eephus is a high lob that comes down at an acute angle like a slow pitch softball.

Hose

[quote=“hoseman18”]
His delivery is deliberate, and slow until he gets to the high set position, and then he reefs on the ball with enormous arm speed.

He finishes high, with his hand at his opposite hip. He barely bends at the waist. Looks “armish” to me.

As to the pitch at 1:38, looks like a slow curve to me. Eephus is a high lob that comes down at an acute angle like a slow pitch softball.

Hose[/quote]

And how does the arm travel with such speed? You are telling me the arm makes itself travel this fast? And that the legs, hips, and torso is not responsible for this? If he was “all-arm” there’d be too much tension in his arm and it wouldn’t be able to travel as fast.

He finishes at his opposite hip because his shoulders have rotated to far they are almost inline with the plate. Finishing with his shoulders rotated as far as it does allows a longer path for his arm to decelerate. Not doing so may lead to injuries to the back of the shoulder. There’s a guy in the HOF named Bob Gibson who finished like this. Might have heard of him.

What people describe as “bend at the waist” is a misnomer. It’s really just “bend at the front hip”. He does not “bend at the waist” because he straightens his front leg too much after release.

My point wasn’t about whether he finished high or not. It was about him falling off the mound due to allowing his shoulders to rotate as far they did.

It’s definitely an eephus pitch because he slowed down his delivery. Look at how high the pitch goes. Look at how he finishes. And that’s Ichiro Suzuki he threw it to in case no one noticed.

I noticed Ichiro, what I see is the guy in the majority of clips threw severely across his body (Why I think his hip seperation and body rotation drove him so far towards first), once or twice it looked like he opened up a whole bunch past open…i.e. on the 1st base side of his left leg. The hips look to me as the work part of how this guy got his speed and action and his back and legs look like Nolan Ryan (This sucker is strong strong strong). I am mystifyed by Japanese mechanics…fun to watch but almost makes me nuts…

i dont see anything slow about it…and its not all arm his mechanics are pretty sound. dono where you get slow from, most deliveries are slow, heres lackey http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLCFJer6CmE lackey throws 91-93 with that smooth delivery and lackeys looks alot slower than that guys. that was definitely an eephus pitch, his whole body changed on delivery.

Lackey has a physical edge since he’s a big guy and also used to be a football quarterback. I prefer fast-tempo deliveries and I do think that Lackey could improve velocities with it, but since he has good pitching going on in MLB… oh well

You fellas obviously don’t know what an eephus pitch is, but then who really does? lol

I’m not arguing that he’s effective, but if you don’t call his delivery deliberate, than you aren’t looking at the same guy as I am.

Hose

[quote=“vertigo”]
Lackey has a physical edge since he’s a big guy and also used to be a football quarterback. I prefer fast-tempo deliveries and I do think that Lackey could improve velocities with it, but since he has good pitching going on in MLB… oh well[/quote]

Irabu is listed at 6-4, 240 on most sites. He’s about the same size as Roger Clemens. He was obviously thinner in his younger days as was Clemens. Lackey is 6-6, 205. Lackey isn’t that much bigger to say he has an advantage.

[quote=“hoseman18”]You fellas obviously don’t know what an eephus pitch is, but then who really does? lol

I’m not arguing that he’s effective, but if you don’t call his delivery deliberate, than you aren’t looking at the same guy as I am.

Hose[/quote]

Curveball on the left (you can see his supination in the follow-through), possibly an eephus (a hittable one) on the right…in my non-expert opinion. Everything I have seen and read on the eephus agrees that it is a high lob, not a low one. I threw an eephus for fun, and threw it for strikes more often than my fastball. :oops:

Hose

Here’s a link to a vid of the last pitcher known to throw an eephus as a part of his arsenal. There are others to be seen if you search. They all show the high lob

Hose

Both of these pitches are roughly the same speed. There is not a specific grip or way to throw an eephus. Who cares what grip he used. If he used a fastball grip and just lobbed it up there, he might tip it. But since he used a curveball grip, he didn’t have to slow down his arm as much since his hand isn’t behind the ball. A knuckle ball thrown by someone who doesn’t normally throw one would be an eephus. Kelvin is that you?

Who cares??? Please, lets not get all hot and bothered because we disagree, huh? Some past purveyors of the eephus do indeed say there is a certain grip to it. You seem to be saying that any pitch that can’t be otherwise labeled is by default an eephus. Shrug. I disagree. But it’s not worth my time to argue any further about it.

Hose