Hidden Ball Trick

Smart baseball or Bush League?

smart baseball.

i don’t really know. Because apprently they changed the rule i thought. I thought you can’t be in the mound circle or even on the mound without the ball.

Because that is a way to deceive the runner(BALK). So ya where i play you can’t do that. You can give your basemen the ball but what dumb runner would step off the bag when the pitcher is not on the mound.
SO i would have to say bush league.

its foolish, if you surrendered a walk, or a hit, shake it off, and face the next batter, no need for childish games. Its like knowing, why would you cheat, if you know your going to get an outcome you might not even enjoy or be happy for in the long run. Even if its just one out.

Ozzie Guillen got caught twice in one week in the majors. Throw over to first- first base fakes throw to mound and puts ball in glove- reaches down for tag when Ozzie pulls hand off bag to get up. The fake throw, putting in glove, and sweep tag all happened practically in the same motion.

There are other ways to pull the play, usually in the midst of a chaotic inning after a play where pitcher covers first on grounder to right side. Runner safe- pitcher passes ball to 1st baseman as they cross paths- coach may be looking at runner down the right field line as this happens- pitcher kills some time off the mound hoping runner will make a mistake and come off bag. The team may let ump know they have the play in their arsenal.

It may be bush in rec league or LL but less so the higher the level of competition. Bush or not runner and first base coach should know better. Runners should be coached on how to either call time or get up without leaving the bag and also not to leave the bag until at least the pitcher is on the mound preferably the rubber.

Having coached some variations of this play and having watched my son’s high school team use many variations of this play I’d have to say it depends on the situation. Sure if you are dominating a game and pull one of these plays just to humiliate your opponent, then it’s definitely bush league. If you are in a tight game, and your opponent is suppose to be a well practiced, disciplined team then everything not prohibited in the rulebook is fair game.

There is the fake throw away at firstbase. There is the hidden ball with the pitcher tying his shoes in the grass off the mound, there is the “oh sht" play where the runner on second with a runner on third gets “caught” between second and third by faking that he forgot about his buddy on third and ran into him on a steal attempt, yelling "oh sht”. If the catcher throws down toward second the third base runner scores. Fake throwaway at second base with the centerfielder creeping in.

All these plays should be sniffed out easily by a quality team. And when they don’t work, it makes you look a little foolish and bush league.

[quote=“baseballkid111”]i don’t really know. Because apprently they changed the rule i thought. I thought you can’t be in the mound circle or even on the mound without the ball.

Because that is a way to deceive the runner(BALK). So ya where i play you can’t do that. You can give your basemen the ball but what dumb runner would step off the bag when the pitcher is not on the mound.
SO i would have to say bush league.[/quote]

That’s been a rule for a long time, nothing new…you can’t be on the mound when doing it.

Kenja-Agreed shake it off, but like dino says if it’s close and the team is supposed to be well disciplined team to catch them on a play like that gets the job done.

It’s smart baseball, if you notice that the runner is being careless on the bases and he’s just sort of loafing around then it’s a good idea to try, sometimes a snap throw from the catcher will suffice, but this works too and it’s absolutely hilarious to see the look on someone’s face after that.