Hey Guys

Hey everyone. I just found this website tonight as I was looking for slow motion videos of pitching mechanics and stumbled here. After reading some of the discussions, this looks like a great place to talk pitching and share ideas and theories with others.

A little bit about me: I played D1 ball at UNC-Asheville (Big South Conference) where I pitched. Started out as a walk-on and redshirted my 1st year. Earned the closer role as a RS freshman and made a couple of mid week starts. Got a victory against Florida and save against Tennessee, who both made it to Omaha that year ('05).

I played a pretty significant role my Sophomore year as we won our conference tournament and made the first regional in school history. We went 2 and out losing to Clemson 2-0 and Mississippi State 5-4, but it was an incredible experience and something I will never forget (mostly because I have a sweet championship ring to show for it).

By my Junior year I had earned a weekend starting role and was throwing in the upper 80s, touching low 90s and in great shape. Our pitching coach was pretty terrible so I worked my tail off and reworked my mechanics to improve from a low-to-mid 80s thrower to what I was my Junior year. I ended up throwing over 100 innings and played for the Florence Redwolves of the CPL the following summer and throwing 60 more innings. That was a 100 inning increase from the previous year (threw 60 in the spring and skipped summer ball to focus on the weight room), and I ended up having major surgery on my shoulder.

After the surgery I lost all of my velocity and movement and only threw 30 innings my Senior year. It was definitely a tough way to end my baseball career but I graduated with 2 degrees and got into graduate school.

I just finished my Master’s in Sport Psychology from the University of Denver last June. While I don’t have time to be a full-time coach, I give pitching and hitting lessons part-time (about 10 hours per week) and really enjoy it.

That was a bit long-winded, but I’m really looking forward to contributing my own thoughts on the physical and mental aspects of pitching and learning from the other members here.

Graham Baughn

Welcome to the site, look forward to seeing you around the boards for some great discussion.

Welcome, I look forward to your advice.

Welcome!

Your experience making it at the college level will be helpful to many here as will your unfortunate experience with your workload increase and the resulting surgery.

Welcome hope you have a great time here :slight_smile:

University of Denver? Welcome! I’m from the Colorado area as well.