Hey Everyone

I guess I should tell everyone a little about myself before I start posting. I am currently a 15 year old sophmore in highschool. I am a right handed pitcher and throw a fastball, circle changeup, curve, and am looking for a fourth pitch. I look forward to talking pitching and offering whatever advice I can.

Questions: How tall are you, how big is your hand, and what’s your arm angle? These are things we’d need to know before dispensing any advice on a fourth pitch. Oh, I know, there are those who say that three pitches are enough, or more than enough, at this stage of the game, but if you have good control and command of those three, adding another pitch won’t hurt and could add to your effectiveness on the mound. :slight_smile:

Welcome to the forum! You’ve got a nice list of pitches that you already throw. You’ll find plenty of good info here. There are some good pitching experts who will be more than willing to help you.

I am about 5’11" and have pretty big hands with long fingers. I throw from an overhand arm angle. I can usually make my pitches move away from right handed batter (in on a lefty) but cant find a pitch that will move in to a right hander (away from a lefty).

You’re a good candidate for a splitter! That’s a nasty pitch that you can move away from anybody who stands at the plate—besides that it dives sharply downward, and it’s almost as fast as an ordinary fast ball. Try it. Work around with it and see what you can do with it.
Because you have long fingers, you should have no trouble with the grip. Unlike its cousin the forkball, you grip that pitch so that the fingers are off the seams, but not spread as wide. And you throw it with the same arm motion and same arm speed as for a fastball. And you can use any arm angle with it; because you throw overhand, that pitch is really going to dive! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the help a I will definitely work on a splitter next time I throw. I have tried before and got great movement but never really worked on it enough to feel confident with it in a game. But now a will practice it more often. Thanks again for the help. :smiley:

Welcome