Here's my Offseason Pitching Workout - How is it

Theraband Tubing Program (12 Exercises)

• 5 Times a Week (3 Reps, 20-15-10)

Push Ups Program (1 Exercise)
- 5 Times a week (1 Rep, 20)

Sand Cans Program (10 Exercises)

• 3 Times a Week (3 Reps, 25-20-15)

Therapy Program (4 Exercises)

•          7 Times a Week(3 Reps, 25-22-20)

Please comment on how my offseason workout schedule is, am I missing anything key to do in the offseason? Just respond with opinions please, Thanks

Is that your entire workout? Any weight lifting?

I’m not sure what weight lifting I should be doing. Im 15, 6’2 155, if you have any programs let me know cuz I dont really know what lifting in the offseason to do for pitching. Thanks and anything else I should add?

you definatly need some weight lifting, especially for the lower body.

Ok well is everything else fine and tuned up good? And where can I get a great offseason pitching lifting program? Thanks alot

you can go to noexcusesbaseball and have coach griffin personally design a program for you.
we have our program on our website also - just go to handouts on the menu.

As a former college baseball coach, I’ll tell you that you need to absolutely do some weight training. You should concentrate on your lower body but don’t leave out some upper body things as well. I would stay away from the bench press and anything over head, but building your shoulders, forearms, triceps, and back muscles are essential for any players, especially pitchers.

I tried to go to noexcusesbaseball.com and I didn’t see any “handouts” the site just seems to be a commercial site to find other baseball crap…what the heck!!!

this link will get you going in the right direction. http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/most_lifters_are_still_beginners

Is 14 too young to start this kind of workout? My son wants to weight lift, but I am not sure his body is ready. He is taller than me though…he has grown at least a foot this year. How do you decide it is OK to start serious weightlifting for a teen boy?

Littleleagueparent- I would focus on proper technique on basic bodyweight movements such as the push up, squat, one legged deadlift, chin/pull up. There are many variations to each exercise to add difficulty. Once they have an understanding of correct technique then I would move on to weight training.

Younger athletes need to establish an understanding of body awareness and movement before they get into lifting weights and create imbalances accidentally. Being a parent, it is good to educate yourself when it comes to having your son train smart and efficiently.

I’d suggest getting the book “Starting Strength” by Mark Rippetoe. You can educate yourself and your son before starting a resistance program.

Id also check out ericcressey.com.

Oh snap, lankly lefty I didn’t even click the link you posted and it was what i just typed about haha. Great minds think alike ay?

Would you recommend Mark Rippetoe’s program over Steven Ellis’s program for working out and getting stronger for pitching?

I am doing research and really thinking about getting TuffCuff, but if Starting Strength is really as good as it says i might look into that instead.

I’d get Doug McGuff’s book “Body by Science” if u value your time and also want a cutting edge scientifically proven workout.

[quote=“LTadrian”]Would you recommend Mark Rippetoe’s program over Steven Ellis’s program for working out and getting stronger for pitching?

I am doing research and really thinking about getting TuffCuff, but if Starting Strength is really as good as it says i might look into that instead.[/quote]

I like Tuff-Cuff - I looked at it last night and realized how good it was. It has prescribed workouts for strength, flexibility, pylometrics, & soft tissue work (foam rolling - but he uses an ART). Tie in the 60 & 90 day throwng program - it is a good resource that focuses on pitching. Which I am assuming you are interested in.

Starting Strength is a good resource - but how is it on those other topics? I mean in the link provided Coach R pretty much says this is the workout that he would propose for the novice lifter - how does that workout translate to functional ability for a pitcher?

If I had limited $$$ I would buy Tuff Cuff instead of Starting Strength.

There are many pitching specific workouts out there that will help you. Here is what you want to implement into your program to ensure your pitching success!
Regardless of what workouts you choose you don’t want to go without these basics that will help you handle the workload that pitching requires:

Cardiovascular exercise

Agility exercises

Rotator Cuff work

Balance drills and exercises / Core stability training

Functional strength exercises

Sprint work: Pitchers are sprinters not long distance runner’s

Plyo’s

Throwing program

Warm-up exercises: Given when doing any workout

Cool down exercises : Just as important as warming up

Here’s an article for you to study more in depth.

Good luck to you!