Here is the problem I mentioned before (video)

I have always thrown low-low 3/4, but it has never been this low before. Sometimes my arm even gets below horizontal, and I can really feel the stress on my forearm. I don’t know how this happened, but it was within the last week or so. I think it’s just a bad habit, but I’m finding it hard to break now. When I dry throw, my arm seems to get up fine with a high arm slot, but the second I try to throw a ball it drops to horizontal or even below. Even worse, I will try to throw over the top and I will still sometimes end up throwing sidearm despite it feeling to me at the time like I was over-the-top. So I can’t feel that this is happening, except afterwards with a sore forearm, and on video tape where it looks horrendous. I need help at least getting it back up to where it was before (low-low 3/4 like randy johnson), and preferably up to low 3/4 if possible. I have been doing a lot of mdicine ball horizontal throws, which teaches my trunk to rotate horizontally, whereas a pitcher actually rotates kind of on an axis (look at clips of lincecum his trunk doesnt stay upright and rotate horizontally). Maybe I subconsciously taught myself to throw this way? Anyway, watch the clip and I’m desperately asking for some help prior to the season starting. I could function this way if I had to, but I feel it would likely get me injured. Thanks.

try to strengthen your rotator cuffs is my suggestion… and it is normal to have the shoulder below horizontal… just remember that in pitchers that throw at a higher arm slot their arms are still below the shoulders, they just tilt their shoulders to get a higher arm slot

notice how his elbow is below the level… whats happening with you is that you are not tilting your shoulders, and if you try but are not succeding your core muscles are probably not strong enough yet… try running…ALOT… try sprinting and sit ups of different kinds in particular oblique muscles to make it more confortable to do this tilt…

its a little less clear to see in this pic but just imagine his trunk not tilting… his shoulders paralel to the ground… his arm slot will look alot like your right?

[quote=“newstarprospect08”]try to strengthen your rotator cuffs is my suggestion… and it is normal to have the shoulder below horizontal… just remember that in pitchers that throw at a higher arm slot their arms are still below the shoulders, they just tilt their shoulders to get a higher arm slot

notice how his elbow is below the level… whats happening with you is that you are not tilting your shoulders, and if you try but are not succeding your core muscles are probably not strong enough yet… try running…ALOT… try sprinting and sit ups of different kinds in particular oblique muscles to make it more confortable to do this tilt…[/quote]

sorry but conditioning is not the problem. You have not read my log. I ran 6 miles every day in the fall and can still do an 8 miler with no problem. If you doubt my core strength watch some of my youtube videos. I do rotator cuff exercises every other day just about. I agree that arm slot is shoulder tilt at release point, but I’m having trouble getting in that position. When i said below horizontal, I meant my arm slot was in the submarine range, not below the level of my shoulders (although it is that, too) Also, notice how I said this was a recent trend, you don’t just lose strength overnight. Again, it’s a mechanical issue, not related to conditioning. You’re saying arm slot is just trunk lean, but how do I get to that point?

I don’t see how this is a problem.

I think you’re over-thinking this.

You are striding into a closed position which makes you throw across your body, which in turn, leads to low-low 3/4. Stride straight and keep your posture, you’ll most likely see a difference.

Good catch. It’s at least part of the problem.

LL, watch your feet relative to the yellow line on the ground.

LL, watch your feet relative to the yellow line on the ground.[/quote]

wow, good call. I’ll keep an eye on that.

LL, watch your feet relative to the yellow line on the ground.[/quote]

wow, good call. I’ll keep an eye on that.[/quote]

yea you are kind of striding more towards your left side (1st base for lefties) which causes your weight to shift to your left which makes you tilt the other way causing you to submarine your pitch… if you pause the video at landing and keep play/pause you can see hoe your shoulders are tilting the wrong way… kerry wood also lands more towards his PAS side which could b part of his problems… fixing that should help out…

so even before you threw the ball while you were checking your arm angle, it was low. start throwing arc balls, throw as far as you can but throw it at an upward angle. so the ball is like a rainbow rather than a straight line. itll help your elbow go up when releasing and give you more of a feel.

ok so I was practicing with my friend yesterday while playing catch, just telling him to watch my arm slot, and I eventually got pretty consistent at getting my arm slot up, according to him. However, he noted that when my arm got up, sometimes my shoulders tilted back a lot prior to release - is this ok?

I was always told to keep my shoulders level and rotate horizontally, but shouldn’t your shoulders tilt back slightly and you don’t really rotate horizontally your trunk turns more on an axis like Tim Lincecum, right?

[quote=“LankyLefty”]ok so I was practicing with my friend yesterday while playing catch, just telling him to watch my arm slot, and I eventually got pretty consistent at getting my arm slot up, according to him. However, he noted that when my arm got up, sometimes my shoulders tilted back a lot prior to release - is this ok?

I was always told to keep my shoulders level and rotate horizontally, but shouldn’t your shoulders tilt back slightly and you don’t really rotate horizontally your trunk turns more on an axis like Tim Lincecum, right?[/quote]

it should turn on an axis yes… i dont like how much tim lincecums back is bent though i think it puts alot of stress on the back…and remember he injured his back in college…

My brother and a kid that I was giving pitching lessons to had the same problem. My first sugesstion is go to the doctor. Both my brother and one of my students had the same issue. The both went to James Andrews in Birmingham AL(famous doctor) and he said they are one and two of 20 people with this problem. And the numbers are increasing.

They both could not get their arms up. The problem was a bone was blocking the range of motion in their shoulder. Their shoulder never bothered either on of them, it was there elbow.
If there is nothing wrong my advice is to to quit trying to throw like someone else. Throw the ball the best and from the most comfortable angle that YOU feel. There are a few big league pitchers that throw with a lower arm angle. Just get it checked out.

Hope I could help
Jeff Hunter