help

I’m 6’2 240-250 pounds. I have no idea why i’m so heavy, i work out almost everyday and have been eating right. I’m not a fat 245 pounder i have more muscle than fat. How can i lose weight but still feel/be really strong?? I’d like to get around 220 if that’s possible.

How long are your practices? Because I’m 6’0 and I was 220 working out and conditioning every weekday for about two hours a day, and then once season started and we started practicing for like 4 hours a day I dropped down to 205 in a matter of a couple of weeks.

Tryouts start on the 17th of March. Tryouts and our practices are both about 2 hrs long pretty much every day except game days. I’m a big dude but I keep up w/ most of the smaller scronnier (spelling) guys for conditioning. I drop to about half of about what I want during the season, to about 230-235 but I really want to get down to 220 or below but still feel as strong if not stronger than i do now.

run more

sprints are more effective than long-distance in my opinion. They will help you cut down on the fat while helping you become more explosive.

I find it hard to believe that you are 240 and mostly muscle, that would put you around 215 lbs lean muscle which would be absolutely insane at your age. More important, what is your body fat percent? Don’t worry about poundage as much as body fat %. Try to get to 12% or below, somewhere in the 8-12 range is good.

I got a little out of context. I’m not MOSTLY muscle but i have quite a bit more muscle than fat. I guess right now I would consider myself “fat” but an athletic type of fatness. I have never been a "six pack"type guy…kind of like the picture of beckett that’s been floating around on here.

Does that make any sense at all???

So, I will put you at 240 lbs and around 20 - 25% body fat. That means you should be able to drop down safely to somewhere between 205 and 215. I think this would help you tremendously, but only if you go about doing it the right way. Don’t starve yourself or anything.

www.johnberardi.com

I believe that site has some good info…

8-12 percent bodyfat isn’t necessary for most athletes, and for many it is less than optimal to remain at that level. As long as you are under 20 percent then it shouldnt impede athletic performance. Just focus on eating healthy as your number one priority - dont diet, just try to eat lots of really good food - and get your regular exercise in. Your body should find it’s equilibrium point. The problem is when you do really extreme dieting, starving yourself, then come back a week later and pick up with the bad habits again. Berardi offers great insights on how to make a gradual change into healthy eating.

But a full-on weight loss diet would not be good right now, especially trying to drop 30+ pounds. There is a chance that weight loss will also include muscle (and strength) loss because of the caloric defecit, and you could experience lower energy. That could be really bad for your baseball performance.

Just get your strength and conditioning training in regularly and you’ll be fine. Check this out…
This is Fedor Emelianenko

In addition to be a chubby/ pudgy Russian guy, he is also the best heavyweight fighter in the world. Proving that it doesnt matter how “cut” you are, but how well trained you are that matters.

[quote=“kc86”]8-12 percent bodyfat isn’t necessary for most athletes, and for many it is less than optimal to remain at that level. As long as you are under 20 percent then it shouldnt impede athletic performance. Just focus on eating healthy as your number one priority - dont diet, just try to eat lots of really good food - and get your regular exercise in. Your body should find it’s equilibrium point. The problem is when you do really extreme dieting, starving yourself, then come back a week later and pick up with the bad habits again. Berardi offers great insights on how to make a gradual change into healthy eating.

But a full-on weight loss diet would not be good right now, especially trying to drop 30+ pounds. There is a chance that weight loss will also include muscle (and strength) loss because of the caloric defecit, and you could experience lower energy. That could be really bad for your baseball performance.

Just get your strength and conditioning training in regularly and you’ll be fine. Check this out…
This is Fedor Emelianenko

In addition to be a chubby/ pudgy Russian guy, he is also the best heavyweight fighter in the world. Proving that it doesnt matter how “cut” you are, but how well trained you are that matters.[/quote]

well said! I certainly wasn’t advocating losing all of the weight at once, it will be a gradual process. I think most people can get under 15% body fat with no problem, but I guess there are always exceptions…great example in Emelianenko!