Help?

I am a RHP and I am throwing across my body which affects my accuracy immensly. I land about 1.5 - 2 ft to the right from the center of the mound. Which makes this even worse, is I start on the left side of the mound with only my right foot on the mound. I have trouble fixing this because even when I think about it when I am delivering my pitch, I still don’t land centered. I figured this would be because I am counter-rotating my leg too much but I dont feel like I do. I only have access to a mound once per week at our high schools captains practice, so it makes it hard to work on anything. Tryouts for varsity are in 4 weeks and I know I am a good enough hitter and a shortstop to make it, but we dont need a shortstop. What are some drills I can do that will help me land straight. These drills will have to be possible to be performed and be effective without a mound. Also, if i get this fixed I feel like my shoulder would fly open, so how can i make sure this wont happen? Post your answers either here or go to my pitching log (which is more preferable). My log is called Winter-Spring-Summer Pitching log.

Thanks,
Shawn

[quote=“bosox2311”]I am a RHP and I am throwing across my body which affects my accuracy immensly. I land about 1.5 - 2 ft to the right from the center of the mound. Which makes this even worse, is I start on the left side of the mound with only my right foot on the mound. I have trouble fixing this because even when I think about it when I am delivering my pitch, I still don’t land centered. I figured this would be because I am counter-rotating my leg too much but I dont feel like I do. I only have access to a mound once per week at our high schools captains practice, so it makes it hard to work on anything. Tryouts for varsity are in 4 weeks and I know I am a good enough hitter and a shortstop to make it, but we dont need a shortstop. What are some drills I can do that will help me land straight. These drills will have to be possible to be performed and be effective without a mound. Also, if i get this fixed I feel like my shoulder would fly open, so how can i make sure this wont happen? Post your answers either here or go to my pitching log (which is more preferable). My log is called Winter-Spring-Summer Pitching log.

Thanks,
Shawn[/quote]overexagerate it, what i mean is try to keep your shoulders facing home, dont counter rotate your shoulders, thats really the big thing to focus on here, it will feel odd at first but stay with it…

Throwing accross yourself is common with youngsters that have a tendency with the following:

Bending over excessively with the shoulders - leaning to the third base line, while at the top of your leg lift.
A leg lift with the stride foot pointing straight up … which is usually a sign that the body is trying to compensate and balance itself off due to other posture issues during the windup/set position.
Your pivot foot is pointing down – into a hole in front of the pitcher’s rubber… thus shifting a lot of your weight to the 3rd base line even before you start your dirive foward.
Notice the place that you stop your glove hand … because more than likely … this is directly above where your stride foot is landing. So, if you extend your glove arm out during your stride … and you stop that extension… your glove will be resting right over the spot where that stride foot is landing. To help you correct this … your glove arm’s elbow should follow slightly behind your stride leg’s stretching out … and your entire glove arm and hand should be in its final position AFTER your stride foot plants itself.

These are some of the most common things that cause your problem. They are not and end to themselves. Without actually being there – or any other pitching coach with some sort of history on you, it’s very difficult to adivse you further.

I hope this helps. Please post back and advise if any of these suggestions help’d you at all.

Coach B.

I will try to put a video of myself pitching up asap. I just need to find a mound and a video camera.

i place one of the flat sided football tackling dummies to the open side. it forces you to step directly at the plate. or have someone stand there (i’ve done that before too.