Help with Pickoff move questions

Hi guys, great site with so much untapped info. You guys certainly sound like you know the game inside out so I was wondering if you can help me with a couple of pickoff move questions:

I tell my pitchers that the important thing is not so much to get an out on a pickoff but to keep the runner from getting that extra step or two on our catcher. I obviously don’t do the coaching thing for a living, but I have a local travel team and want to ensure I don’t teach the kids the wrong ideas.

When a runner is on first base, is it a balk when for a RHP, you do the quick turn and throw to 1st base…when you don’t throw the ball? I know that when you step back and then turn you can fake a throw without it being a balk.

When you step back off the rubber, if you are turning your shoulders while you stepped back, could that be considered a balk? In other words do you have to wait before your right foot is back behind the rubber before you can turn your shoulders to throw over?

On the fake to 3rd without stepping off and turn to throw to 1st…can you do the fake to 3rd and then turn and fake the throw to first? Or do you have to make that throw to first? I’m assuming you don’t have to step off the rubber to do this play.

What do you guys think is the best way for a RHP to throw to 2nd base. Where he jump spins to the left until he’s in line with 2nd, or the one where the knee comes up and turns to the right so that he steps to 2nd base?? For this last one, when he turns to the right after bringing the knee up and steps to 2nd, does he have to throw the ball?

Finally, can a RHP do what a LHP does at first base when he throws to 3rd base in that he does the stretch, the knee comes up and he slightly turns and strides to 3rd and throws there. That is legal isn’t it?

Thanks for any help

1. a RHP move to 1st base, the ball must be thrown unless the pitcher steps off the rubber
    2)Technically it is a balk to turn the shoulders while stepping off, but will never be calledas long as the first motion to step off begins before the shoulders turn.
  2. on the step through move (3rd-1st) a throw to 1st base is not required, a pump fake to 3rd is required before a turn back to 1st base or a balk will be called
  3. i think that both moves to second are effective, a jump move and a bastard move (slow spin to the right) it depends on the base runner and we like to use a jump move as a determined timing play with ss. 1st base is the only one that requires a throw.
  4. yes a RHP can use a hang move to 3rd base, but the stride must be at a 45 degree angle or a closer angle towards third. I suggest being as close to 45 as possible for maximum effectiveness. the pitcher is not required to throw either

If you don’t first step off the rubber, then you have to throw to 1B.

Kind of. You have to step ahead of the throw.

What matters more is what your foot is doing rather than what your shoulders are doing.

I like guys to always spin to their glove side. That goes for P’s, IF’s, and OF’s.

He has to step directly at 3B after lifting his knee for it to be legal.

thanx

guys

you also don’t have to step back when a RHP is throwing to first, can step step in front of the mound, as long as your foot is no longer in contact. This is a lot quicker then stepping back. You can also jump to the back/side having both feet land at the same time and in a throwing position.

But to legally disengage the mound you have to step backward (toward 2B) with the pitching arm side foot.

[/quote]arner8 wrote:
Finally, can a RHP do what a LHP does at first base when he throws to 3rd base in that he does the stretch, the knee comes up and he slightly turns and strides to 3rd and throws there.

He has to step directly at 3B after lifting his knee for it to be legal.[quote]

No not at all, look at Andy Petittes move which is barely legal, he steps somewhere inbetween third base and home. I am pretty sure it is legal to go 45 degrees but any more than that is illegal.[/quote]

But to legally disengage the mound you have to step backward (toward 2B) with the pitching arm side foot.[/quote]

My coach pitched at a small D3 college and stepped off in front of the mound as his pick off move. He coaches J.V. here and has taught the move to many of his players and I don’t recall anyone being called for a balk. You may be right though, I’m not sure on this one.

I have found that most RHP pros use a spin move that may be what you are describing (and that generally isn’t regarded as stepping off). They lift up the toe of the pitching arm side foot and point it at Home Plate and then step and throw to 1B.

Can a pitcher (especially in a 1st / 3rd situation) disengage the rubber by faking that their going to a windup and stepping off with their opposite foot.

For a LHP, it would be left foot off, arms pumped over head and rotating completely off the rubber.

Legal?

a balk is considered to be an action that is deceiving to a base runner/batter. The foot must come off the rubber and touch ground directly behind the rubber before the arms start upward. If the arms begin movement first, this will be considered the start to a pitching motion and the ball must be thrown home, if not a balk will be called.

How about a RHP move to 3rd base again.

If the stride leg knee OR stride leg foot goes behind the rubber can the RHP still step to 3rd base to make the pickoff throw?

I seem to recall that if the foot goes behind the vertical plane of the rubber then the pitcher must throw to home.

???

This should be the case, as when a LHP crosses his stride leg over his back leg, he must go towards the plate. Not sure if this is pertinent to just the knee, or any part of the leg.

Anybody have good luck with ‘leaning’? I got picked off last week by a guy with a fantastic lean, combined with a 45 degree step - just killed me. He’d duke me by an obvious move then a less obvious delivery incorporating a ‘body lean’ towards home. Dunno if it is legal or not, but it worked.