Help with my slider

:frowning: im a 15 year old pitcher and i cant get alot of my pitches to break (especially my slider) any tips yall can give me will help thx.

some one help me with this i may be sarting jv pitchin tuesday

Well, youā€™ve given us almost no information to go on so itā€™s difficult to make any suggestions. Your breaking pitch needs to be thrown from the same release point and with the same arm speed as your fastball. Set the angle of the wrist/forearm in the glove. Think ā€œcurveballā€¦curveballā€¦curveballā€¦fastballā€. This makes you keep the proper angle up to the point your arm accelerates forward and then makes you accelerate to fastball arm speed. (Many people say think ā€œfastballā€¦fastballā€¦fastballā€¦cureballā€ but that thinking leads to twisting of the arm as it accelerates forward.)

Also make sure your grip is such that your thumb and middle finger cut the ball in half.

Can you change speeds?
Can you spot your fastball to any location?
Do you have High School experience?
What does your JV coach tell you to work on?
Do you get help from someone (Dad, brotherā€¦anyone)?
What have you had success with in the past?
Relax now and think about what youā€™ve been taught to this point. If youā€™ve had success you did ā€œsomethingā€ to have it, remember what it was, build on it. Expect to make some mistakes, but everytime you make one, attempt to figure out why and develop a plan to not do it again.
Spend the time and work, you will be fine.

Ya i can change speeds farly well, I can spot my fast ball just about anywhere, no i dont have any high School experiance, mostly speed,ya my coach, changing speeds. what i mean is with my slider am I suposed to do some kind of specail wrist flick or any thing on my slider. Or i may just need a diffrent kind of breacking pitch. any suggestions?

[quote=ā€œRogerā€]Well, youā€™ve given us almost no information to go on so itā€™s difficult to make any suggestions. Your breaking pitch needs to be thrown from the same release point and with the same arm speed as your fastball. Set the angle of the wrist/forearm in the glove. Think ā€œcurveballā€¦curveballā€¦curveballā€¦fastballā€. This makes you keep the proper angle up to the point your arm accelerates forward and then makes you accelerate to fastball arm speed. (Many people say think ā€œfastballā€¦fastballā€¦fastballā€¦cureballā€ but that thinking leads to twisting of the arm as it accelerates forward.)

Also make sure your grip is such that your thumb and middle finger cut the ball in half.[/quote]

i thought it was fastball fastball fastball curveball?

play around with grips when thrown a fastball thatll get some movement

Why do you want them to break? Are you having problems getting hitters out? How is your change-up?

I ask because the longer you wait to throw any breaking pitch, the less likely you are to do permanent damage to your arm.

It looks like you have a good start going, a well placed fastball is baseballs best pitch, changing speeds on that, keeps folks off balance and being able to hit your spots means you have command of the zone, now as for your breaking pitch, you have to develop it, you will not have much luck if we tell you to ā€œflickā€ your wrist and you attempt to throw it on Tuesday.
Not that we would just tell you to flick your wrist.
The slider is a dangerous pitch, like any, if it is thrown right it is not going to cause damage, but most kids want to spin that sucker, leading the ball with the pinky finger they roll their hand under the ball (Ouch!). The slide piece is a variation of the fastball believe it or not, so your fingers HAVE to be behind the ball.
Have you asked your coach about it?

[quote=ā€œel3ctroā€][quote=ā€œRogerā€]Well, youā€™ve given us almost no information to go on so itā€™s difficult to make any suggestions. Your breaking pitch needs to be thrown from the same release point and with the same arm speed as your fastball. Set the angle of the wrist/forearm in the glove. Think ā€œcurveballā€¦curveballā€¦curveballā€¦fastballā€. This makes you keep the proper angle up to the point your arm accelerates forward and then makes you accelerate to fastball arm speed. (Many people say think ā€œfastballā€¦fastballā€¦fastballā€¦cureballā€ but that thinking leads to twisting of the arm as it accelerates forward.)

Also make sure your grip is such that your thumb and middle finger cut the ball in half.[/quote]

i thought it was fastball fastball fastball curveball?
[/quote]

As I stated, thatā€™s backwards. That thinking leads to doing everything the same as a fastball until late in the delivery. Then, when your thinking switches to curveball, your arm angle changes (i.e. supinates) and that produces the dangerous twist. You need to have the arm angle set early so that there is zero twist when the arm accelerates forward.

i havent asked my coach. but i dont know if i should go with the curveball or the slider. what do you think?

The slider is hardest on your arm because itā€™s thrown with fastball arm speed and force. Iā€™d recommend a correctly-thrown curve over the slider.

Me too. I prefer to see inexperienced guys learn the curve first.
Look into the sinker or cut fastball also, they can save an aweful lot of arm use, both from the stand point that they pronate the arm but also when thrown ā€œto the batā€ (start fat over the hitting zone and it dives in and down to a righty for the right hand pitcher), you get a bunch of ground balls, so you can end up working 3 or 4 pitch innings, make your coach a happy man, impress your parents and someday grow up to be Greg Maddox. :shock:ā€¦well anyway they are good pitches.

Focus on having the ball come off your index finger and not your middle finger. If it comes off your middle finger itā€™ll move like a poor curveball.

Focusing on your index finger will give it a rotation like a bullet, and the ā€˜dotā€™ that you want the hitter to see.

:smiley: thx u guys for all the help but what is a good way to ask your coach if you can pitch in a game?

Ask him if heā€™ll watch you in the bull pen after practice.
Donā€™t expect anything until he seeā€™s he can have confidence in you skills. In other words I would expect if I was you, to have a few sessions in either scrimmages or several bull pen sessions before youā€™ll see game action. Be patient, if you can throw strikes I suspect that he can use you.