Help with my mechanics anyone? How can I improve velocity?

you go to university of houston?
i went there last 2 years.

doesnt seem like you are using all of your upper body… why do you think there is a problem? like control issue? velocity?

Yeah I am at U of H. I dunno my velocity feels way off.

[quote=“Influx”]you go to university of houston?
i went there last 2 years.

doesnt seem like you are using all of your upper body… why do you think there is a problem? like control issue? velocity?[/quote]

Ya Im still at UofH but I broke my ankle last season and cant get my delivery back. My velocity isnt anywhere it used to be!

Hi
Did you ever find a solution to your velocity concerns? I looked at your video and I believe I can offer some sound advice, but would need to slow it down to get a real close look at a couple steps in the motion to give you a real answer. You say your velocity seems off. Was there a point where you felt it was on and effective?

[quote=“CalPitchCoach”]Hi
Did you ever find a solution to your velocity concerns? I looked at your video and I believe I can offer some sound advice, but would need to slow it down to get a real close look at a couple steps in the motion to give you a real answer. You say your velocity seems off. Was there a point where you felt it was on and effective?[/quote]

Yeah I could top out at 88-89 last season. Now its a problem. I can top out at about 80-85 but its not consistent. I can feel my delivery is different.

violent whip at the end - looks to me like you are overthrowing. Are you gripping the ball too tight? Also, have you tried reducing your step about 12" less to see if you don’t get more of a downward plane?

What’s your pitching Coach at U of H saying?

Very little whipping action of the arm during the throw. looks like your pushing the ball to much.

I personally think there isn’t enough hip rotation.

You fall off to the glove side too much for someone with an over the top arm slot. And it looks like that’s caused by opening up the shoulders too early which will rob you of velocity. I suggest leading with your front hip longer into your stride before swinging the stride foot out front. This will keep the hips and shoulders closed longer. You currently reach a bit with the front foot. That will tend to open the hips up early and that will also rob you of velocity.

I would also suggest increasing your tempo to build more momentum by starting your hip forward a bit sooner relative to the peak of your knee lift. This will make your delivery quicker and actually make it easier to lead with the front hip. You might find it helps to start with the knees slightly bent and a slight bend forward at the waist as this will put you in a more athletic posture than the straight upright posture you used in that video.

get a new windup where you start moving back first to get momentum

I would definitely say that the issue is arm action as well as the glove. I personally really like your lower body mechanics, they’re very explosive. They kinda remind me of Johan Santana’s.
As for arm action, there is a point in your motion where your hands almost form a “touchdown” signal from football> I believe the frame is around the 36 second mark. That is a velocity killer. Then you proceed to cock the ball by your ear. From there you get no whip in your arm at all.
What I would suggest is to drop the ball by your knee with your knuckles facing third base. From there allow your elbow to “pick the ball up.” Then the elbow will lead the ball towards the target.
Your glove should extend out in front of you thumbs down as opposed to palm up like you have in the video. From there you pull the glove into your left pec rather than ripping it down as you do. If you could mimic the arm and glove action of John Smoltz you would definitely throw harder. Here is a clip of him.

http://www.pitchingclips.com/players/john_smoltz.htm

I’m suprised Coach Noble hasn’t addressed your arm action because I used to take lessons from Bragg Stockton when he was U of H’s pitching coach 6 years ago or so. I know Coach Noble subscribed to those same mechanics which are what I spoke of.

Throwinched, great point about his front glove!! I had a similar problem before, and this is a really simple fix, I saw instant improvement!

[quote=“uofhbaseball24”][quote=“CalPitchCoach”]Hi
Did you ever find a solution to your velocity concerns? I looked at your video and I believe I can offer some sound advice, but would need to slow it down to get a real close look at a couple steps in the motion to give you a real answer. You say your velocity seems off. Was there a point where you felt it was on and effective?[/quote]

Yeah I could top out at 88-89 last season. Now its a problem. I can top out at about 80-85 but its not consistent. I can feel my delivery is different.[/quote]

Have you had your shoulder checked out?

you pitch at University of Houston??