Help with mechanics 14 Y.O

any help or tips for me? im 14.

to be off topic or anything, but you dont look like your even close to 14.[/i]

Most ridiculous post of the year no doubt. “Not to be off topic”, then exactly what did your post mean to be?

IMO, I think you need to get more momentum going towards the target, let your hips slide forward before you reach and pause at the balance point. Hopefully this helps your finishing issues post release. If they don’t, try to finish by bringing your back hip up and over thus bringing your foot around.

ill change it for hammer =)

I’m not so sure yanksneeddice-k is far off-topic.

If the OP was really 14 yo at the time this video clip was made, I’d also be surprised. I would have guessed more like 11-12 yo and hasn’t pitched more than a few innings in LL. If he is really 14 yo in the clip, he’s got a lot of work to do very soon, IMO.

Pitching mechanics start with balance & posture. The OP’s clip shows him adopting an unstable stance, with his feet so close together they touch, just before he goes into his motion.

—A balanced starting point would have his feet spread about armpit-to-armpit wide. His knees would have some bend in them–think “free throw” posture. The toe of his post foot would be in line with the arch of his stride foot.

The OP’s leg lift and “stop at the top” is obviously very awkward for him and he shows a real lack of balance during the early part of his motion. He comes to a complete stop while trying to maintain balance on one leg and then he must restart his momentum to the plate from that awkward position.

—Instead, the OP should be getting his booty moving toward the plate at the same time that he is lifting his leg. “Stop at the top” is not only unnecessary, it is far too difficult for this pitcher to control. The only place you really see that much “stop at the top” in a pitchers delivery is in Japan–they do it specifically to mess with the hitters’ timing. But, unlike this youth pitcher, the Japanese pros who do that are well-trained.

It’s difficult to tell clearly from the video, but it looks like the OP may also have a soft glove side to work on.

I’m not sure how age has anything to do with anything. The kid is looking for help. Not everybody is trying to become Nolan Ryan or Sandy Koufax, some kids just want to try and get hitters out. Besides, a full grown great 14 year old player doesn’t mean he’ll be worth a darn when he’s 18.

Good other points though flip.

Thanks, Hammer. I hadn’t thought it through very deeply before, but here’s my take on the question of why the OP’s true age might be important…

If he is 14 yo, with those mechanics, he’s been coached by one or more people who don’t know very much and he doesn’t have very much time left to do some major remedial work. Optimization of pitching mechanics takes lots of time and lots of correct reps–we all know that, right? Remediation is even more difficult than optimization.

At 14 yo, the OP is either a HS freshman, or he soon will be. In my opinion, there is not a frosh HS baseball program that I am aware of that would let that kid pitch. I could be wrong, but that’s my opinion–it’s not meant to hurt the kid’s feelings. If he wants to make a go of it by the time he is a sophomore, I think he will have to dedicate himself to a solid training program now, with a good coach, and stick to it.

On the other hand, if he were really only 11 or 12 yo, he’d only need to find a good coach who would work with him over the next 2 or 3 years. He’d have the useful luxury of getting more time to develop, without having to worry about missing the cut every time he tries out for his HS team.

Very True

[quote=“rymanspencer”]any help or tips for me? im 14.

[/quote]

Well my friend, your love of baseball shines through your video. Good luck on your quest to become a better pitcher. It looks like you have spent some time watching the pros, but you may be looking at the wrong things. Instead of the pitchers, watch the outfielders and how they throw. The action is much the same as the pitching motion.

Understand that you are at the very first step of what is often a long process, and you have much to learn. Good luck and have fun!

Hose

hey, thanks for the help. I am 14 and am a freshman. I love baseball, but have moved so much that I have never played on a team, ever. But we finally settled down an Im going into high school and would like to play on the school team. Its a private school, and they take anyone (no tryouts). I know I have some major work this summer but there is no one around who can coach me, so that doesn’t help and more tips would be greatly appreciated.

find a professional pitcher who has fundamentals. try copying his delivery. look at his motion from ever angle, then film yourself from those same angles and compare them. this would be the best method seeing as you are confused about using your body to generate velocity.

“I know I have some major work this summer but there is no one around who can coach me, so that doesn’t help and more tips would be greatly appreciated.”

Not knowing the complete details of your situation, it is difficult to read between the lines of this statement.

At this point in your life, especially given that you are 14 yo with no previous playing experience, you really do need to get help from a coach who knows what he is doing and can spend some regular time working with you in the off-season. This is going to require some dedication on your part, and buy-in from your parents.

I don’t completely disregard the idea that you may learn some useful things by studying pitching abstractly on the internet or by watching pros play the game on TV. On the other hand, a real coach who will spend hands-on time training you as an individual is going to be far more valuable to you.

Your HS baseball team, as you suggest, may accept all comers without the need for a tryout; however, that won’t necessarily get you any quality playing time. A HS policy of that sort may only guarantee you a spot on the bench, unless your skills are in the same zone as the other players on the team. Even if your HS team is really unusual and you are guaranteed playing time at the position of your choice, that may also not help you much when you actually face competition.

Again, without knowing your specific situation in any detail, my guess is that there are coaches in your area that you could work with. The issues are probably in these two categories:

1. Finding out who they are (your description makes it sound like you are new to your area…?). You may have to do some leg work–better yet, get your parents to help you chase this down. As useless as parents are to a 14 yo (just kidding, dude!) they can generally help with something of this sort. It comes down to you looking your dad/mom in the eye and saying, “I want to get better at pitching and I need to find a knowledgeable coach to work with. Please help me do that.”

Assuming that your parents buy in to the idea of finding you a coach to work with in the off-season, the local HS coaching staff is where I’d start. Most HS coaches supplement their income by offering private lessons–this would be the first place to start in your search for coaching help.

1. You will likely have to pay your coach for spending his time/effort with you in the off-season–this is no different than paying a piano teacher for lessons, or a dance teacher for dancing lessons. A personal coach will need to spend time with you and help you with expertise that he has gained over a long period of time in baseball–you and your parents do need to be prepared to pay for quality help.

You never know, there might be free coaching available in your area but (1) I certainly wouldn’t count on that and, (2) the old saying, “you get what you pay for” is sometimes a pretty realistic description of baseball coaching at youth levels.