Help with Curveball

Okay, I’ve been trying to get tips and help for both the changeup and the curveball now… The changeup tips helped me, but since I pitch in flat ground for the moment I will start to work more on my curveball. I have used different types of grips, including the normal one, the “beginners” and the knuckle curve. I find that the beginners and the knuckle curve give me the most breake. But my for my delivery I need to go down completely while throwing the knucklecurve in order to get more movement, but when I don’t go down completely after throwing it, I don’t get that much movement on it. I was also wondering what exactly is the movement I have to do with my wrist in order to get movement on it. Thanks for any help!

I throw my curve like a fastball except I pull down on the front of the ball.

with the knuckle curve pluck your index finger to get more break
you dont have to do anything to your wrist

turn you beginners curve grip into a knuckle curve for more break

easy curve
take a 4 seam fastball grip
lift the index finger up
throw it

[quote=“kelvinp”]with the knuckle curve pluck your index finger to get more break
[/quote]

No, no you don’t.

You throw it like a fastball. That is not the proper way of throwing a knuckle-curve/ spike curve.

[quote]No, no you don’t.
[/quote]

i was just saying you get more break
i know its not the proper way of throwing it
besides nobody throws the pitch the same

The spike curve has late quick movement at about a 1-7 break or 2-8. It doesn’t break much, but its a good pitch. Since the curveball is thrown off you index finger, just tucking it in makes it break like it does.

[quote=“kelvinp”][quote]No, no you don’t.
[/quote]

i was just saying you get more break
i know its not the proper way of throwing it
besides nobody throws the pitch the same[/quote]

That doesn’t get you more anything, it lessens the velocity, accuracy and break. If you throw it like a fastball it will move the most, if you “pluck” your finger it does nothing.

well it works for me

dont get under the ball
stay on the side
that should help

[quote=“kelvinp”]
dont get under the ball
stay on the side
that should help[/quote]

My pitching coach has always told me to release the ball just like you release your fastball - except that your fingers should be infront of the ball - not behind the ball (your fingers are behind the ball when you throw a fastball). Keeping your fingers in front of the ball allows for the forward spin of the ball.

In my case the more I release the ball in front of me the more of a 12-6 break I get. When I get lazy and release the ball from nearer my ear the flatter the break or if I pull the my arm across my body the flatter the break. Also don’t cup your hand - keep your wrist straight (inline) relative to your forearm.