Help with control issues!

Im having really bad control issues lately and i dont know why. i cant find the strike zone with my fastball or change up and my splitter usuall oges way outside!!

I would think the first issue could be balance, either on your post or at your foot strike.

It could be a balance issue (like buwhite said).
It might also be a stride/foot strike problem. Make sure that you are not swinging your leg far out during your stride. When your foot lands after your stride, it needs to be straight toward the plate.
If your foot is off to the side, it can cause control issues.
Is it just your splitter that goes way outside, or do some of your other pitches also go outside? Do your fastball and change-up go outside or just all around the plate? Are your pitches “wild” (over the screen, into the dugout, in the dirt, over the batter, etc.) or can you just not get them in the strike zone?

It could be a balance issue (like buwhite said).
It might also be a stride/foot strike problem. Make sure that you are not swinging your leg far out during your stride. When your foot lands after your stride, it needs to be straight toward the plate.
If your foot is off to the side, it can cause control issues.
Is it just your splitter that goes way outside, or do some of your other pitches also go outside? Do your fastball and change-up go outside or just all around the plate? Are your pitches “wild” (over the screen, into the dugout, in the dirt, over the batter, etc.) or can you just not get them in the strike zone?[/quote]

It could also be a mental issue.

"The pitcher had electric stuff but couldn’t find the plate…"
I’ve heard of this sort of thing happening to pitchers at all levels of the game. It could be any of a number of things. i know, what you want to know is what to do about it. Here’s an idea you could try—this is something I used to do when I was a little snip, many years ago.
Get a catcher—a good one—and set up on a playing field, with him behind the plate while you take the mound. Have a good pitching coach stand nearby so he can observe what you’re doing. Now, the catcher should position his mitt in various spots, high, low, inside, outside—just about everywhere except standing on his head :lol: —and what you need to do is concentrate on getting the ball smack-dab into the pocket of the mitt, actually throwing through it rather than just at it. Do this with all your pitches, starting with the one you’re having the least trouble with and working up to the one that’s really giving you fits, and let the coach get a good look at your windup, your arm angle, your release point, any and all aspects of your delivery. If something is amiss he’ll be quick to spot it, and then you’ll have something to work on to correct the problem. 8)

alright, balance issues, things like that. foot positions and other things. well, sometimes i step too early and my pitch doesnt go where i want it too, so maybe i should change my delivery.

No, trev, don’t do that. If you’re comfortable with your arm slot, stay with it. What you might want to work on is your timing—I have an idea that this might be the real problem. Get a pitching coach to watch you and see what you’re doing that might be throwing your timing off, and then you can take steps to fix that. :slight_smile:

I think most of us would love to get a look at your pitching, we are all shooting in the dark without something to look at, you might be trying to fix something that isn’t broken. Only way unless you can describe all the actions in your pitching motion exactly is for us to get a peek.

well i finally fixed my control problems. I was just on vacation and when to a tigers/twins series and on the last game, Brad Penny pitched. Well when we got home i went in my backyard and made my own type of wall to throw a baseball at for something to stop from going into the road. well i noticed that for some reason, i changed my delivery a little bit and it was working perfectlly. Then i realize that my delivery was more like Brad Penny’s and i guess throwing with more of a standing straight up position works better for me. My fastball velocity is up and also my other pitches are. Also my cruveball now has more of a 12-6 movement on it. :smiley:

you did all this in 11 days, wow, it takes me a month to make a little change in my mechanics

well i guess all i needed was a small change in my delivery :o