Help With a 3rd Pitch

With the Allstar season approaching, My Number 1 pitcher is on FIRE. He is Currently a Freshmen in High School so there room to experiment but unfortunately with one week until the season begins, there’s not much time. He has a 3/4 high arm slot and throws a 4 seam and a Curveball. the entire regular seasons I focused on his curveball and getting his arm angle slightly up more so is doesn’t float like a Frisbee and now its perfect. At his arm angle, I need help deciding what his 3rd pitch should be. A slider would only ruin everything he’s done to get his curveball to work and I’ve been told (but don’t believe) that a Splitter wont work at a 3/4 arm slot. A change up would take to long to master, so please help me decide on what pitch is quick to learn and that I can plug in.

Not to be a jerk, but unless the pitcher asked for help on a new pitch, I wouldn’t teach him a new one. 1 week is not enough time to master any pitch. Speaking from personal experience, it takes me at least a month for a pitch to be ready for a game. I think this is the type of thing to work on in the off season, not playoff time.

I totally agree with you. He did ask me to try and help develop a 3rd pitch because he dumped his changeup. He use to throw a changeup but because he dirted it so much his father told him to not throw it anymore and we all know how some parents can be. I Want him to have a 3rd option though. its tough to win with just a fastball and a curve.

Do not despair.
Long ago, my wise and wonderful pitching coach told me that just about any pitch can be turned into a nice changeup, and he demonstrated several for me and showed me how to throw them. Let me pull a few out of my overflowing basket of changeups for you to consider.
For openers, there’s the “Bugs Bunny” changeup. This is a very nice palmball, the first one I picked up and a good one it was. For this one, you grip the ball with all four fingers on top and the thumb underneath for support—well back in the palm of the hand, hence the name, but don’t grip it too tightly because you don’t want to squeeze the juice out of the ball! You throw it with the same arm motion and the same arm speed as for the fastball, and you can loosen the grip a bit and put more pressure on the middle finger. Next, consider the knuckle-curve, which can be used either as a power pitch or as a changeup—you use any knuckleball grip and throw the curve, either as is or with an easier wrist action. That one comes in there looking like a fastball and then suddenly drops like a glass hitting the floor and shattering into little bits. And how about the “C” change? This one is a variation of the circle change but much easier to throw; you form a backward “c” with the thumb and forefinger and the other three fingers on top and a little off center. And don’t discount the slider! It’s actually easier on the arm than the curveball—a lot of professional pitchers have found this out for themselves—and even though this is a power pitch, you can change speeds on it. These are just a few examples—you can experiment with them and see which one strikes your fancy, and work on it. Two-pitch pitchers are most often closers, by the way. :baseballpitcher:

Thank you sir! Very Helpful!