Help with 12 year old fastball

Lately my son’s fastball as been moving in on right hand batters like a screw ball. He is a right hander. At release is palm is pronated facing third base completely. Is this a problem? Will it lead to injury? Or a good thing. Thrown 4 seam it hook sharply in. with 2 seam it hooks down and in. He has had trouble locating outside fast balls on right handers. Sometimes when he tries that it winds up right in the middle of the plate. If he continues with these machanics what stratagy should he use facing right and left handers. He throws a good change, curve that does break down and away on right handers.

Jim

This is very good and will protect his elbow.

It may also be due more to arm slot than pronation.

Against RHBs, you start the ball outside and run it back over the outer part of the strike zone or you start it over the inner part of the strike zone and run it in on the hands.

Against LHBs, you start the ball inside out of the strike zone and then run it over the inner part of the strike zone or you start it over the outer part of the strike zone and run it out of the strike zone (so they hit it off the end of the bat).

So the approach sounds like throw that pitch on the edges of the zone and either have it look like a ball and come back as a strie or have it look like a strike at the start and break in on hands of RHB or tail away from LHB. He does get a ton of grounders on RHB and has even caused a few composite bats to crack. he has a 3/4 slot. Just wanted to know if he was causing any harm.

Thanks, Jim

hard to say without seeing something. if he has no pain, use good judgement and have fun. if he’s already breaking bats he is doing something right.

This will eventually start to hurt him in later years, doing that causes great tension in the tendons and muscles in his elbow, if he plays in high school he might have arm problems.

Correct.

This is the basic strategy of Maddux and Glavine.

I know minor leaguers who are still learning how to do this, so this would put your son ahead of the curve.

Also, I taught my son this approach and it has worked quite well.