Help! Non-Pitching Question!

Tomorrow (Sunday) my Little League Minors team starts a local inter-league tournament that has a strange rule: no more than 5 runs allowed per inning. Thus rule is going to hurt high scoring teams like mine.

Given that all 12 players bat, and I have 8 “good” hitters and 4 “average to bad” hitters, how would you guys line up the batting order? My concern is that if I top load the order, I’ll leave good hitters on base when batting the top half of the order (due to this 5-run rule) and then next inning will be a low (or no) scoring inning.

Assigning the “good” hitters number “1” and the “average to bad” hitters number “2”, would you spread out the batters like this?

Batting Order

(1st) 1 - 1 - 2 - 1 - 1 - 2 - 1 - 1 - 2 - 1 - 1 - 2 (12th)

Thanks.

What, 5 run max in a tournament? What the heck!

I don’t think it really matters then, just spread them out.

I’ve always thought that Little League is insane, demented, crazy as a loon, out of its tree, whatever synonyms one can think of, and this proves it. The only reason I can think of for this unheaard-of rule is to avoid the big inning, you know, seven, eight, ten runs—and therefore to avoid the “mercy” rule, which stipulates that if one team does score ten runs the game is over—whichever comes first.
I do have one suggestion, and unpleasant though it might be, it may be the only way to demonstrate how ridiculous this rule is: never mind the batting order. Instruct all your players to take everything that’s thrown at them. They go up to bat, and no matter what the pitch, they are NOT to swing. Just stand there in the batter’s box and do nothing. Now, if the other team’s pitchers don’t know how to find the strike zone, the result will be a festival of bases on balls and maybe a hit batter or two—those pitchers will walk the ball park and walk the ball park and walk the ball park. And you guys will get your runs that way.
I can just picture how the umpire behind the plate will react: “Ball one”, “ball two”, “ball three”, “Ball four”—over and over and over again, ad nauseam. And this reminds me of a very funny—and true—story about what happened back in the early 1950s.
You know the balk rule and its proviso that if there’s a runner or runners on base it’s a balk if the pitcher fails to come to a complete stop of one second before delivering the pitch. Well, the Yankee pitchers had been getting away with murder, just coming to a slight hesitation. Well, in 1952, I believe it was, the umpires decided to enforce the rule, and one day when Vic Raschi was pitching, and he came to that slight hesitation not once, but four times, and each time he was called for a balk. He was ready to scream—but Allie Reynolds managed to calm him down and said that he would put a stop to it.
Reynolds was pitching the next day, and there was at one point a runner on first. He got the ball—and he held it and held it and held it. Then he called time, stepped off the mound, went to the rosin bag and futzed with it for a minute or so—and then got back on the rubber and held on to the ball for what seemed an eternity. By now the plate umpire was getting very restless, even a little exasperated, and he went out to the mound and asked Reynolds, "Why don’t you throw the ball?"
Reynolds: “I’m afraid to.” Allie Pierce Reynolds, who was not afraid of anything.
Umpire: "What do you mean, you’re afraid to throw the ball?"
Reynolds: "Because if I let go of the ball you’re going to call me for a balk."
The umpire spluttered and then burst out laughing. Then he decreed that for the rest of the season the Yankee pitchers, and ONLY the Yankee pitchers, would be permitted to come to that slight hesitation when pitching from the stretch.
The following season everybody paid attention to the balk rule.
:greenmartian:

Thanks for the responses. I should clarify, though, that this is a local tournament, not an official “Little League” tournament, and this 5-run rule is not from the Little League Rule Book, but rather the fancy of certain locals. Wanted to get that in before the Little League haters showed up. :lol:

We want the best hitters to get the most AB’s. We play alot more small ball at the bottom of the line up.

Work the line up in groups of 4.

1. Best runner and contact
  2. good contact good runner
  3. Needs some pop with a good eye
  4. Best pop on the team

Repeat through the line up

Make sure your last batter can run fast so when he gets on base he doesn’t create a road block for the top of the line up.

Good luck.

what if its 4-0 bases loaded the hitter jacks one over, do u rob him of the rbi’s?
This is one of the reasons we dont play local ball. Iam getting ready to write a book its called “Societies sissafication of america youth” actually thats not the name i just cleaned it up for this site. do you think it would sell i have about 80 pages worth. do you think anyone would read it? its a whimsical look at societies attempt to make every youngster equal and keep them all feeling good about themselves.

How old are these players?

3 good 1 avg 3 good 1 avg 2 good 2avg

We come across these rules from time to time in the tournaments that are local/small tournaments. They want the kids to have fun, not fall behind 14-0 in the 1st inning and I don’t have a problem with that. We don’t change the batting order at all. Same old same old. Why mess with the order the kids are used to? The batting order is set up like it is for a reason. I don’t see how limiting the runs per inning should change that.

The 5 run rule is actually pretty common in our area for rec league/tournaments. Our local park board has both rec and competitive leagues which is pretty cool. A little something for every skill level.