Help me pick out things to work on VIDEO

Let me first say, I’m working on changing my arm action so that explains the awkward arm action in the video. It’s definitely a work in progress. Also I generally have a longer stride but am recovering from an injury. Aside from those two problems that I am already working on, could you guys give me some advice on what else I need to work on? Thanks a lot

Yeah… that arm action is just NOT ok at all.

Yeah my arm action isn’t normally that weird but I’m trying to make some changes thus that haha. It will come along.

Number one, your throwing hand ( with the ball ), never gets to the proper position to throw the ball correctly ! After 1/4 way threw the video, your arm, hand, and ball don’t even reach your shoulders. Everything looked fine up until that point. So, after breaking your hands apart–the throwing hand (with ball ) goes down to make a circle, then the fingers and ball are shown to the second baseman (3/4 ) circle-- then the hand is above your shoulders–on the way up over the head–then turn your fingers towards third base ( if your a righty–or opposite if lefty), the circle of your pitch is complete when you stretch your throwing hand (with ball ) toward the catcher over your head–to release at eye level–but continue to progress forward to have your throwing hand complete your pitch–by having your throwing hand down at knee/thigh level while your body should be horizontal to the ground. Eyes always on the target!!!

But what if this pitcher is a side-arm thrower?

ugh quit tryin to mimic lincecum people. slow your delivery down its to jerky u need a nice flow in delivery

[quote=“Roger”]But what if this pitcher is a side-arm thrower?[/quote]That would be fine but I don’t see that being the case here. I see a kid desperately trying to look like Lincecum in how he starts, then there may even be an attempt here to mimic his late arm action by hanging it down in back during the stride. Have you been speaking to TimL55? This looks very curiously like what he’s been recommending lately. Or have you been reading Chris O’Leary’s stuff about the elbow being below the shoulder?

All very contrived, really and needs to be a bit more natural.

Well, from the video, I don’t think anyone can tell what the kid’s real arm slot is. In the video, it looks pretty low which, to me, means side-arm is a real possibility. But it also looks unnatural which tells me his arm slot could be anything. Again, you can’t tell and that means you can’t rule anything out. So arbitrarily recommending a particular arm path/slot like pitcherdadfan did seems inappropriate to me.

Yeah, you’re right about any arm slot recommendations right now. The only thing I can see here is a low elbow and very late arm motion, which could very well be one of the reasons for the low elbow. He may just not be getting in a good throwing position at an appropriate time. You’re right, we need video.

Thanks for the constructive criticism guys.

I definitely am not a sidearm thrower so those criticisms are well-founded. I’ve always been a big pusher so in trying to get more elbow involved, my arm slot has dropped and I really haven’t fixed the issue yet.

Also, I am a huge Lincecum fan so the imitations comments are probably on the money though most of similarities aren’t a conscious attempt to look like him. I kind of tried to pick out things I liked as well as a lot of stuff Carlos Gomez emphasizes so that’s how that happened. Aside from the awful arm movement I do like how I am moving toward the plate though.

Ok, I’m going to suggest that your abbreviated arm action is caused by not having the timing to do anything else. And I think there are two causes for the timing issue.

First, while you do get started forward early, you also appear to lead with your front shoulder. That will likely lead to early shoulder rotation which will steal timing from the throwing arm. It will also limit the efficiency of energy transfer up through your body and rob velocity. Try to lead with the front hip and keep the head and shoulders slightly behind the front hip into foot plant.

Second, your glove arm never gets fully extended out front and it drops too soon. This also contributes to early shoulder rotation. Try to get your glov arm to mirror your throwing arm at front foot plant. This will give the shoulders the timing they need to stay closed and the arm the timing it needs to take a more full path.

One more thing… Tilting your head back probably creates a posture change that can also be contributing to your issues. But I can’t say for sure with just a side view video.

[quote=“Roger”]Ok, I’m going to suggest that your abbreviated arm action is caused by not having the timing to do anything else. And I think there are two causes for the timing issue.

First, while you do get started forward early, you also appear to lead with your front shoulder. That will likely lead to early shoulder rotation which will steal timing from the throwing arm. It will also limit the efficiency of energy transfer up through your body and rob velocity. Try to lead with the front hip and keep the head and shoulders slightly behind the front hip into foot plant.

Second, your glove arm never gets fully extended out front and it drops too soon. This also contributes to early shoulder rotation. Try to get your glov arm to mirror your throwing arm at front foot plant. This will give the shoulders the timing they need to stay closed and the arm the timing it needs to take a more full path.

One more thing… Tilting your head back probably creates a posture change that can also be contributing to your issues. But I can’t say for sure with just a side view video.[/quote]

By leading with my front shoulder, do you mean opening up to soon? Again, thanks for the tips, I am really taking a lot of this info to heart.

How hard do you throw?

Will all due respect, your mechanics are horrible. You have a slow tempo, reach the balance, and have a really awkward arm action. It seems forced, and you have worse timing than bj ryan. Actually, looks something like bj ryan with a lower arm slot.

No, I mean your front shoulder is physically ahead of your front hip. Continue to get started moving towards home plate early but push your front hip out in front of everything else.

[quote=“slurve22”]How hard do you throw?

Will all due respect, your mechanics are horrible. You have a slow tempo, reach the balance, and have a really awkward arm action. It seems forced, and you have worse timing than bj ryan. Actually, looks something like bj ryan with a lower arm slot.[/quote]

Slurve have you ever posted a video of your mechanics? You have a lot to say and seem like a cocky one. Curious to what your mechanics are. What’s speed have to do with anything? Obviously he has some kinks to work out of his mechanics so its a bit obvious he doesn’t throw very hard. Why does it matter?